Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2004, 02:54 PM

Default Re: Hand I don\'t know where to post

Thank you for the comments.

Since I min-raised him on the turn, he was getting something like 4 to 1 on his money. I think it would be hard to fold getting those odds. If he has a draw, he's got odds to go on. If he has a made hand, it doesn't cost him much to see what will happen on the river. Just because I min-raise him doesn't mean I'm automatically going to go all-in on the river.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:04 PM

No, it absolutely doesn't. Many times players will raise on the turn to try and take the pot, then show it down on the river if they didn't improve. Also, it depends on who you're playing. A min-raise from a good player will make me pause and think for a minute. Same from a poor player will simply make me push all our chips to the center if I had anything half-way decent. 80% of the time you take the pot right there and then. Usually, however, I am extremely hesitant to min-raise when I'm holding a weakish hand myself - an aggressive player might easily take that as a sign of weakness and raise hard, at which point I'm gonna have to fold. That time, however, it worked out perfectly.

Kirk R.
Old 08-17-2004, 03:12 PM

It did work out, because I got a reaction which allowed me to put him on a hand and had enough on hand to get him to fold. I don't normally min-raise, hence my asking for feedback on the post. I'm still not convinced it was a good play.

If he had called me confidently, I would have most likely checked behind on the river. If he had called confidently and bet around 150 on the river, I would have hated it.