Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Typical Hellmuth

lol nh
Old 11-14-2005, 01:55 PM

I would think that Phil would probably play 1. g3, since he checks everything and plays a relatively purposely passive game. Hoyt would probably play some crazy gambit against Phil and go for a Tal-like Kingside smash. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Nice to see another Chessplayer round here.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:25 PM

Danneman giving Phil Helmuth a donkey is almost as funny as wearing a Helmuth jersey, playing him headsup and losing.

GG Sir.
Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote from Hellmuth in the article:

"I played so great. But, so what? It doesn't mean anything. The American public doesn't understand how unlucky I got. I had Hoyt stealing my blinds over and over and just when I have a chance to bust him (with A-Q), he wakes up with Aces. I mean, how unlucky is that?"

"...But I could not overcome the bad luck...I never had my chips all-in at any point, except late. I played perfect poker. Great poker is not moving all-in every time. The public doesn't understand that."

Does this guy's story ever change? Maybe Hellmuth should start playing chess instead.

[/ QUOTE ]

alot of truth in that whether you hate him or not ....

how many braclets or titles do you have under your belt ??

poser

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why you defent Hellmuth. This guy is right. He always gripes about luck. Why is he a professional poker player if he can't accept a luck factor? It is a big weakness in his game and talking about it on this forum is a great way to be mindful of it, which can help your own game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anybody think Matusow complains about luck more than Hellmuth? How many times more times does he have to say he never wins coinflips?

--Zetack
Old 11-14-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Phil plays chess

Hey, two fellow woodpushers! Sweet. Thought I'd cook up a little something for you guys.

Just imagine this interview in Chess Life:

Jerry Hanken: So Phil, this is your first time playing in the National Open. Why did you decide to take up chess?

Phil Hellmuth: Well you know, after making several million dollars playing poker and getting endorsement deals, I just thought it wasn’t worth it any more.

JH: Why not?

PH: You do realize I’m the unluckiest person alive, right? I mean, when I win a poker hand, it’s because I’m playing perfect poker. But when some…patzer, right? Yeah, patzer. When some patzer gets a better hand than me, that’s total luck. Screw that. Some guy posted on a poker website that I should take up a game that doesn’t have any luck involved, like chess. So here I am.

JH: So how did you do in the tournament?

PH: Terrible! The guys I played got soooo lucky! Of course, I’ve been studying my openings, and I found out that 80% of the time, the response to 1.e4 is either 1…e5 or 1…c5, the Sicilian. So I totally booked up on that stuff, got some good advice from that Kasparov guy. Anyways, the guy in the first round played 1…e6 and the guy in the third round played 1…c6! They are sooo lucky they didn’t move those pawns up one more square, or I would have crushed them. I mean, how can you take a 20% chance on some bum opening and expect to win with that donkey crap? That’s like sucking out on pocket Aces with pocket ducks!

JH: How did your other games go?

PH: Not too good. In one game, this guy got sooo lucky because he saw that my queen was hanging on the other side of the board. I was bluffing, but he took it anyways, just like a donkey chasing the pot. The American public just doesn’t understand how lucky this guy got calling my bluff at the right time. I mean, I make a move at him, and he wakes up with a free queen? How lucky is that?

JH: Did you win any games?

PH: Yeah I won one. I totally dominated this guy.

JH: Tell me about it.

PH: Well, I didn’t realize that you let kids play chess. I mean, they have to be 21 or over to be in here, right? So I felt slighted by that, like I'm at the Matusow kiddie's table or something. Anyways, he did play 1…e5 against me, and after that I knew I had it all the way.

JH: How did you finally win the game?

PH: He ran out of time. He still got really lucky, because I was about to take his whole stack, kid or not.

JH: What are your future plans in chess?

PH: First off, I’m gonna find whatever donkey said there was no luck in chess and beat his donkey ass. He has no idea what he’s talking about.

JH: Sounds good!
Old 11-14-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anybody think Matusow complains about luck more than Hellmuth? How many times more times does he have to say he never wins coinflips?

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

At the TOC, Phil complained a little more about luck overall, but Mike did mention not getting cards.

Phil talked about it like his destiny is ruined if he misses cards, chalking up his tight image so he can steal and Mike talks about playing even without cards, being both overly honest (for maximum expectation) and to chalk up a looser image to get action on his better hands.

When Phil complained it came off as whinier. He clearly believes that he's the best which he needs to at the table. He, like Mike, has trouble keeping his strong feelings bottled up inside.
Old 11-15-2005, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

--Zetack

[/ QUOTE ]

At the TOC, Phil complained a little more about luck overall, but Mike did mention not getting cards.

Phil talked about it like his destiny is ruined if he misses cards, chalking up his tight image so he can steal and Mike talks about playing even without cards, being both overly honest (for maximum expectation) and to chalk up a looser image to get action on his better hands.

When Phil complained it came off as whinier. He clearly believes that he's the best which he needs to at the table. He, like Mike, has trouble keeping his strong feelings bottled up inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, I didn't see that one.

At Aruba WPT event, just before his drug sentencing, Mike kept going on about never winning coinflips, practically crying about it at times. The next event I saw him in, I forget which one, he gets in a coinflip, and looks up to heaven yelling, "Just this ONCE let me win a coinflip!!!" I didn't get the impression he was doing it for image purposes but that he feels genuinely wronged in regard to important coinflips.

--Zetack