Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2005, 11:58 PM

Default hand selection as chip leader 3rd hour of tourney

pp 30/3 nl tourney yesterday. Came into the chip lead 22,400 after my aa took out a similar large stack (qq). Approximate 750 players to begin down to 150 or so. Going into the 2nd break. From that point on all pots are being raised 2.5 to 3.5 of blinds 300/600. Any advice on strategy? Went through a hour of awful cards and then got busted out by a set of 3's in 58th. Any advice or resources you could turn me onto would be great!
THX
Old 10-28-2005, 03:45 AM

Default Re: hand selection as chip leader 3rd hour of tourney

When you're the big stack, cards don't matter so much if you use your position and stack against your opponents. They will be scared of you. Even if you have poor cards, you should raise when it's folded around to you in late position, possibly even in mid-position. People won't want to tangle with your stack. They don't know that you're card dead.
Old 10-28-2005, 05:21 AM

In addition to the previous post I also like to add UTG to that list. I used that yesterday when I had the chiplead and minraising/3xBB raising UTG worked pretty good. They need a really good hand or a good read on you to push you of with a reraise. I ran into a reraising AA only once.
Old 10-28-2005, 06:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In addition to the previous post I also like to add UTG to that list. I used that yesterday when I had the chiplead and minraising/3xBB raising UTG worked pretty good. They need a really good hand or a good read on you to push you of with a reraise. I ran into a reraising AA only once.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think thats horrible advice. and even in late position I wont get TOO out of control with my steals. Especially in a Party tourney. THERE'S NOTHING to take (if there were antes, then you might be willing to take bigger risks, but with only blinds to steal, you can really just wait a couple orbits for a legit hand). yea, of course in late position if its folded to you raise ocassionally, but not every single time.

I assume that they paid the top 75 spots, so I would tend to stay on the conservative side until there was 80-85 people left. IMO you really want to conserve your big stack so that you have a lot of ammo when the bubble nears. Im not saying play ultra conservative, but definately cautious.

Of course, like everything in poker there are no definates, so if you see you're table being weak, obviously start pounding. but try to not risk your big stack on marginal situations.