Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2004, 01:38 PM

Default Online 15-30 hand #118 - did I miss a river bet?

bet or check on river?

Online Poker 15/30 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, Button folds, SB calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, SB calls.

Flop: (15 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 folds, CO calls, SB folds.

Turn: (8.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (10.50 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 10.50 BB, between CO and Hero.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (10.50 BB).</font>
Old 07-10-2004, 02:06 PM

Default Re: Online 15-30 hand #118 - did I miss a river bet?

Hi kenny,

Bet the river.
Most of the time he's got a King and is always paying you off with it.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:16 PM

Why does he usually have a king? He raised utg, so the only reasonable K hands are AK and KQ. KQ beats you and AK would almost always have raised that flop.
edit: If this guy is capable of having things like KJ or KT here the bet seems fine, but against typical opposition that queen beats you a huge percentage of the time.
Old 07-10-2004, 02:59 PM

I think JJ or 10 10 would play it like this as well.

Cup
Old 07-10-2004, 03:01 PM

The problem is you have to pay off the raise. But i really think even AQ plays it more aggressively on the flop. I think it's mostl TT JJ though.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:18 PM

KQ would likely have raised the turn. As others pointed out JJ and TT are also likely to play this way.
As far as raising standards up front for a typical player, I've seen worse Kings than KQ get raised up front. Without knowing the player, I keep betting.
Now if we described the player as tight up front, well then I might agree with a check on the river.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:42 PM

I don't terribly mind checking here, not because I expect to lose, but because I think it's a great card to induce a bluff from a hand like AJ or KJ or A9 a diamond draw. An exception might be if I've been making some El Diablo style check-raises with big, made hands, making my opponent too likely to check behind with a hand that he'd call with. But this is one of those opponent-dependent decisions that you probably give up a little bit of expectation on when you're megaplextabling.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:46 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

yes, you missed a river bet
Old 07-10-2004, 03:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
KQ would likely have raised the turn. As others pointed out JJ and TT are also likely to play this way.
As far as raising standards up front for a typical player, I've seen worse Kings than KQ get raised up front. Without knowing the player, I keep betting.
Now if we described the player as tight up front, well then I might agree with a check on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get these comments, since it is the cold caller in the CO who is hanging around, and not the preflop raiser UTG.
Old 07-10-2004, 03:48 PM

Default results and thoughts

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

it seems most people think we need to know THAT much about the opponents to play profitably. but in reality, one rarely gets the chance to, especially in online games, more especially multi-tabling.

for what it's worth, the CO had A [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. he missed his draw on the river and decided against bluffing.

the main reason i checked is that i didn't want to call a raise on the river. and i believe it is very likely a busted draw would take a desperate stab after missing. also, a queen was very likely there. moreover, a good King would probably bet the river anyway.

thus i felt, in most cases i wouldn't miss bet; and in some cases i would gain one by calling a bluff or very bad hand; at last in rare cases, i would only lose one bet to the rivered Q.

Kenny