Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-2005, 05:49 AM

Default Re: How much money should I keep online?

[ QUOTE ]
you guys all know about neteller's debit cards right?

seems like a really good way to hide some poker winnings

personally i dont feel like paying taxes on winnings from offshore, considering all the risks involved and that our government would dont [censored] to help us if the sites try to rob us

pisses me off!

i keep way too much money in neteller b/c of this

and ive got like 40 buy ins on empire

etrade here i come!

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you sure IRS can't track neteller? I'm assuming they can since it's tied to your ssn and neteller has regional offices in canada, england, and costa rica.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:53 AM

yeah i really have no idea

am investigating
Old 08-08-2005, 02:30 PM

Also, when you have the debit card and just withdrawal, you still generate a paper trail tha I'm sure the IRS could see...

PS~ I primarily use the debit card, It's ironic that I am gambling at the 5/10 level or whatever, but I am very annoyed that I take a $2 hit from neteller for every transaction and another $4 from the goddamn atm.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:33 PM

10k sounds like a nice round number. You can always get more if need be. If it's a major site, you won't have problems.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2005, 02:34 PM

Money on deposit is taxable. Concealing it (though many do I'm sure) is fraud. I cash out everything in the last few days of December (into Neteller) so my records are transparent for tax purposes. That's me though.

Jeff
Old 08-08-2005, 02:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This probably isn't going to make much sense, but I feel more comfortable keeping a lot of money on UB/stars/tilt, then I do on party/prima/pokerroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. The smartest thing Party could do right now would be to get a Lee Jones-type figure onboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys understand that Party is a multi-billion dollar publicly traded corporation, right? It's by far the safest poker site to keep your money at. Stars is probably second safest, then UB.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This probably isn't going to make much sense, but I feel more comfortable keeping a lot of money on UB/stars/tilt, then I do on party/prima/pokerroom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree. The smartest thing Party could do right now would be to get a Lee Jones-type figure onboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys understand that Party is a multi-billion dollar publicly traded corporation, right? It's by far the safest poker site to keep your money at. Stars is probably second safest, then UB.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people are more worried about getting busted on some rakeback technicality and then having Dikshit jack their whole bankroll. The fact that Party is so huge doesnt really protect against that.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you guys all know about neteller's debit cards right?

seems like a really good way to hide some poker winnings

personally i dont feel like paying taxes on winnings from offshore, considering all the risks involved and that our government would dont [censored] to help us if the sites try to rob us

pisses me off!

i keep way too much money in neteller b/c of this

and ive got like 40 buy ins on empire

etrade here i come!

[/ QUOTE ]

All Neteller debit card transactions are a keystroke away from the IRS seeing them. Using the Canadian bank issued Neteller debit card is, audit trail-wise, just like depositing to your bank. It's the same network and everything is fully compliant with US banking regulations. The penalties for not reporting enough tax are usually not that bad. The penalties for doing things that look like you were trying to hide the money from being reported are HUGE.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:44 PM

F'ing awful support plus locking accounts w/out warning for using programs such as PokerEdge doesn't exactly fill me with confidence.
Old 08-08-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think people are more worried about getting busted on some rakeback technicality and then having Dikshit jack their whole bankroll. The fact that Party is so huge doesnt really protect against that.

[/ QUOTE ]

what exactly do u mean by rakeback technicality