Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Bellagio 10-20 NL Hand

First time poster. I admit to playing above my level of experience by sitting in the 10-20 NL game, but I took a shot for a few hours and I am happy with my play.

Went to Las Vegas for a Super Bowl trip this past weekend. Had a great time and took $4,000 plus from the 2-5 $200 WPT NLHE game while there. Great fun and easy field in the 2-5 NL game.

Anyway, I was waiting Saturday morning for my 2-5 NL seat when the house started a 10-20 NL must move table. I was watching the game and noticed that it was lively, but not outragous with the stacks being $2000-$5000. I got on the list and got a seat and sat down with $1,500.

Thirty minutes in, I get KJo on the button. UTG and mid position player limp. I limp as do the blinds. Five handed to the flop. Flop comes J 9 4 rainbow. It is checked to me and I bet $140 (slightly more than the pot). Only UTG calls (he has me covered and playing a few too many pots IMHO). Turn is a 2 to complete the rainbow. UTG checks, I bet $400. He calls. River is an A and he bets $500, about half my stack.

What should I have done? Actual results to follow.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:30 PM

Default Re: Bellagio 10-20 NL Hand

Check behind on the turn.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check behind on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

right.. this keeps the pot small with your marginal one pair hand.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:28 PM

Hi G&R…The more information you give, the better answers you will get. For instance, it’s very hard to answer this without more information about your opponent. Has he been bluffing? Is he tight or aggressive? Does he seem intelligent (like he knows what he’s doing)? Also, how have you been playing? Have you been tight?(if so you might be a target for a bluff) Do you feel intimidated (is it showing)?

Anyway, it’s a good and interesting post. I agree with the other posters…check behind on the turn. Otherwise, given the way you played it, and the limited information, I would be very inclined to call expecting to lose the pot more times than not. Remember, you’re getting 3-1 on your money. Then again, the only hand you can really beat here is a straight draw so I’m not all that sure…Sorry I could not be more helpful. I’m sure somebody will give you better advice 
Old 02-10-2005, 06:49 PM

Which is exactly the way I felt on the river, a player without enough information. I saw this same player get a set snapped off by a rivered flush from a bluffer's all-in on the turn about five minutes before I sat down. I did not know him but he seemed to be a little, as you say, aggro, which made his two check calls seem weird.

I thought for two minutes and tried to come up with a hand that made sense with the ace with such calling. The only one was A-9, which did not make any sense at all.

I finally said to him either you badly played an A-9 or you have Q-10 and are trying to bluff. I think it is a Q-10, I call. He tapped the table and showed the Q-10.

I took it down. I got some good vibes from that hand and took the confidence and $1,500 (won another few small pots) to the $200 2-5 NL "kiddie pool" game and took it down each session that weekend.

There are some interesting hands from that game as well, which I will share later.

Thanks for the replies, and a check on the turn makes more sense then my $400, but I thought he was on still on a little tilt from the hand 20 minutes before when his set went down.
Old 02-10-2005, 10:22 PM

What an horrible hand from his view. I for sure would have been raising your ass either on the flop/turn or both.