101-150 0 0%
151-200 0 0%
200+ 4 11.76%
50-75 9 26.47%
76-100 5 14.71%
<50 16 47.06%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2005, 06:41 PM

Default Re: Racist or not?...you make the call.

why aren't protestants or catholics a race?

they are white people who have different beliefs than most of the other white people as far as I can tell...most protestants and catholics were jews prior to jesus christ right? How are they a separate race.
Old 11-28-2005, 06:59 PM

How is your reading comprehension? I said orthodox Jews can trace their lineage to Israel. This is not the case for other religions. Think of it this way: you can become catholic, you can't become jewish.

Although technically yes you can convert to the jewish faith, old school rabbinical Jews would never accept you. And yes, they can ask for your papers according to a good friend of mine who is Jewish, however I've never seen these "papers" and don't know anything about them.

edit: oh, and a few more comments. Protestants and Catholics are not necessarily white. As to your question about other faiths being Jewish before they existed, Jewish lineage is determined by the mother. Basically, if your dad is Jewish but your mom isn't, you aren't. That's how other faiths have broken their lineage and thus become not part of the Jewish race. Biologically I guess you could argue that they would be part of it, but it's not strictly a biological thing.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How is your reading comprehension? I said orthodox Jews can trace their lineage to Israel. This is not the case for other religions. Think of it this way: you can become catholic, you can't become jewish.

Although technically yes you can convert to the jewish faith, old school rabbinical Jews would never accept you. And yes, they can ask for your papers according to a good friend of mine who is Jewish, however I've never seen these "papers" and don't know anything about them.

[/ QUOTE ]

forgive my ignorance of the jewish faith, but are all jews "orthodox" jews or are there plain jews?

Also as to my reading comprehension, could a catholic whose family converted from judaism 2000 years ago also trace their lineage back to israel? You would agree that at some point christianity arose for the most part from the jewish faith? It wasn't all pagans.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:05 PM

doh, sorry. I answered your question in my edit.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]

edit: oh, and a few more comments. Protestants and Catholics are not necessarily white. As to your question about other faiths being Jewish before they existed, Jewish lineage is determined by the mother. Basically, if your dad is Jewish but your mom isn't, you aren't. That's how other faiths have broken their lineage and thus become not part of the Jewish race. Biologically I guess you could argue that they would be part of it, but it's not strictly a biological thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what you are saying is that jews decided to become their own race based on religion as they are biologically identical to a protestant of the same lineage, they just have different religious beliefs?
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 PM

not racist but it IS anti-semetic.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:13 PM

honestly I think that to call a statement "racist," you have to know the intent and mindset of the person saying it. if it's someone who has an honest prejudice about Jews, then it's probably racist. if it's not, then it's just an inconsiderate thing to say. I didn't vote, because I can't tell.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:14 PM

No, they wouldn't be biologically identical. That's impossible, short of cloning. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] What I am saying (I think) is that if you "qualify" for being of the Jewish race, you can trace your matriarchal lineage to Israel. For this instance of race however, the required elements are more than biological. It's actually interesting because it's a race you can opt out of.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:26 PM

I got yelled at by a white woman in Wendy's for using the term 'niggeritis' in conversation with three black people, all of whom were laughing at the time.

(It means to eat a huge meal and get sleepy.)

But I would never use a phrase like this in conversation with someone I didn't know... it's pretty poor form. If that nosy Jew bitch wasn't eavesdropping there never would have been a problem.

NT
Old 11-28-2005, 07:27 PM

"I got away with that one scot free." The next time I hear that one I'm crying racism and giving the hate-monger a Glasgow kiss (which is the same as a hockey handshake, btw).

Normally, there are considered 3 races; Negroid, Mongoloid, and Causcasian. You might not like those terms or think that race is just an arbitrary designation but that is how I was taught in University on the subject for a few different classes.

Using the word "Jew" is minorly offensive to me when the correct expression would be "Jewish". "Jew" has a derogatory connotation.