Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-11-2005, 03:39 AM

Default Call the turn for overcallers or raise immediately

Game was pretty loose. Generally 4-5 to a flop even when raised. That plus the presence of the poster made me think that I'd get the right price to call with a small pair.

I called the flop thinking, I was going to raise the turn to move villian off big cards and fold to a 3 bet. Plus I'm getting a nice price to hit mt 5. When I hit my 2 outer I figured I'd wait to the river and go for overcallers.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Villan is a little loose with the raises preflop. Butr not ridiculously so. Everyone else just like to call and come along for the ride unless they find a monster.

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $3.
UTG calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 :#A500AF(Villian)/ raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (11.33 SB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls, Button calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

Turn: (8.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, Hero calls, Button folds, BB calls, UTG folds.

River: (11.16 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Villian bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB folds, Villian calls.

Final Pot: 15.16 BB
Old 04-11-2005, 04:17 AM

Default Re: Call the turn for overcallers or raise immediately

If you are going to raise to try and everybody to fold I think you want to do it on the flop. Every card that can fall on the turn except for 2,3,5 and 6 is going to look bad for you and could cost you the pot if you are currently ahead.
Old 04-11-2005, 04:21 AM

I think the preflop call was a mistake. Cold calling with a small pair just kills your implied odds. I will do it against really terrible players, when a LAG/maniac raises, but OOP, with only 2 in before I think it is a mistake.

I think the flop call is also bad. You need to protect your hand from anyone behind you who would call 1 SB on this flop with anything. Even getting 7:1 here, villains will fold a lot of hands you want them to.

EDIT: Given specific reads, I also may like a fold on this flop

Given that you didn't raise the flop, I like going for overcalls on the turn.
Old 04-11-2005, 06:05 AM

In tougher games (or more aggressive ones) cold-calling raises with small pairs in MP is bad. Doing so in a good 3/6 game is much less bad, but be careful.

Raise the flop, which probably didn't help the preflop raiser. Unless, of course, the PFR is so tight he is a favorite to have an overpair in this spot.

Going for overcalls on the turn looks safe, but don't underestimate your opponents' resolve to call turn raises with holdings that are in very bad shape vs your full house. Besides, by raising you give the original bettor a chance reraise, which is a big mistake unless he flopped quads.
Old 04-11-2005, 07:35 AM

I'm not playing this. But once you're in it, you should raise the flop. You have to try to win w/o the 2-outer. But really, avoid this play if you can. Your avatar suggests you can be impulsive and driven by demons beyond your control so who knows. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]