Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Small Stakes NL Ring Game Books

I'm am not having much luck finding small stakes NL ring game books. SSHE and winning Low Limit Hold 'em are good books for limit, but NL is a different animal.

The 3rd edition of Low Limit Hold 'em is out and is supposed to have much more on NL. At some future date Miller and Sklansky are supposed to do a NL book (can't wait!).

Are there any other books worth reading on SSNL?
Old 06-28-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Small Stakes NL Ring Game Books

I've browsed the third edition of WLLH. It's still for limit play. There is an additional section for Sit N Go's - that is about all it mentions on NL.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:01 PM

HOH Vol. 1 may be useful, at least it's a very enjoyable read. Vol. 2 maybe not so relevant.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Hey

HoH 1, and "PL and NL Poker" by Ciaffone

Everyone here says that those are the two main books to improve your NL Ring game. Sklansky is working on another NL book to be out later in the year.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:57 PM

You might take look at Getting Started In Hold 'Em (GSIH). It has a nice overview of NL cash games, and includes the much-talked-about 'short-stacked NL strategy'.
Old 06-28-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Hey

"Mastering No Limit Holdem" by Russell Fox and Scott Harker is specifically aimed at the baby NL holdem niche (i.e. the restricted buy-in $1/$2 and $2/$5 live games and the $25/$50/$100 buy-in games online). There have been several threads on the merits of this book over the past few months.
Old 07-08-2005, 12:41 PM

Harrington and Robertie are working on a cash games no limit book for 2+2. It will be directly after vol 3 of HOH.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:22 PM

I am currently reading this book. So far, it seems pretty good, but makes occasional points that strike me as questionable. For instance, they suggest that buying in for the minimum is a bad idea, because the big stacks will bully you. However, it seems to me that if you have a short stack, you are harder to bully, since you don't have much more money at risk. I have often been in the situation, where I could call all-in for a flush draw on the flop with proper odds, because I was short stacked, where if I had a bigger stack, I would have been bullied out of the pot. Granted this has some drawbacks, since you will not be able to bluff (which is often pointless at the small buy in online games I play in) and you won't be able to win as much or play as many hands since your implied odds are greatly reduced. I think they should have given a full discussion, but instead they just say, always buy in for the maximum.

So far, I think the good content outways some advice I find questionable (maybe not quite incorrect but not fully discussed either). I hope the material will improve my NL cash game play, and I have found some material I intend to put into my game the next time I play.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For instance, they suggest that buying in for the minimum is a bad idea, because the big stacks will bully you. However, it seems to me that if you have a short stack, you are harder to bully, since you don't have much more money at risk.

[/ QUOTE ]

The game can be player either way, but you have to change your strategy depending on whether you are playing deep stack or short stack NL. The basic principles of short stack NL play are addressed in Ed Miller's latest book.