Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2003, 10:34 AM

Default How was this hand played

1-2 Holdem Party Poker Full table been here for about 10 minutes and have played 1 hand.

Im in MP with AhAd

UTG limps..folded to me I raise LP calls and UTG calls

Flop...Qs, 3h, 8h .. UTG bets... I raise both call

Turn is 4s UTG Bets again.. I call LP calls

River 9s.. UTG checks.. I bet both call

Im looking for opinions on how I played the hand..Results later
Old 11-07-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: How was this hand played

I have to respond to a Fred G Sanford post.

I'm not sure why you didn't raise again on the turn. That seems like the obvious play.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:02 AM

Fred G Sanford,

Welcome aboard [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

You raised preflop and someone bet into your raise. The boards doesnt appear too scary except for the four flush. You opponent does not have the Ah since you hold it. He could have flopped a set of eights or threes and had to protect against the flush draw. However you raised his bet and he called. You have a player to act after you who has just called. The player who just calls along scares me the most. Unless the player plays like a calling station. Since you have only played one orbit, you do not know how poor or well he plays.

The turn really scares me. He bets into you again after you raised the flop and preflop. Either he thinks you cant beat top pair, or he wants you to reraise. The player could still have a draw and played it uber aggressive or he can have a set or two pair. You call.

I really like the river action. He checked to you, and you bet anyway. A lot of players might have feared the check raise.

I know the results, so I will not spoil it for anyone else, however I think you played the hand well.

You could have opted to raise the turn instead of the flop, however what do you do when faced with a reraise?

Old 11-07-2003, 11:25 AM

While I think it's close, I would have raised the turn. I assume you don't have a specific read on UTG. That being the case, I've had hands in low limit party games on EVERY street go: call, I raise, cold call, call... with me in the middle of 2 players and my TPTK or overpair holding up.

On the flop, UTG could be thinking, "I have top pair queens, I'll bet." On the turn UTG could be thinking, "I have top pair queens, I'll bet." If this was a higher limit or I felt UTG was an above average player, I might call the turn.

Everything else looks good Fred!
Old 11-07-2003, 11:39 AM

The only reason I did not raise the turn was that I did not like that he bet into me twice after being raised twice. The caller behind me worried me as well. I fugured UTG for a Q on his flop bet and him not reraising my raise. When he bets into me on the turn I am thinking that he is not scared of me raising him for a 3rd time..so I called.

Thanks for the response Max

Fred G Sanford
Old 11-07-2003, 11:41 AM

I prefer to call the flop and raise the turn.

Old 11-07-2003, 11:45 AM

Thanks Luke...

You are correct...I did not have a great read on UTG but his bet on the turn seemed to say.."Go ahead..Raise me again."

I have spoken with a few other players and the common theme was raise the turn. At the time it did seem close..I considered raising but opted to call.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:49 AM

I think I would play it the same as you in a live game. You don't find many live players who are willing to bet after being raised twice unless they are powerful.

Online however, there are many over-aggressive players who would do this with a draw or one pair, so it doesn't scare me as much.

The fact that the LP player cold-called twice is not a guarantee that he has a good hand in these games.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:52 AM

Thanks Dark...
Why do you prefer that? Just curious because there are straight and flush possibilities out there.

Fred G Sanford
Old 11-07-2003, 11:53 AM

Hmmm. I'm trying to think of hands that UTG might play this way.
3-3, 8-8, Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]x [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]?
Two pair is unlikely with that board, as is a slowplayed K-K, since he would attack with that right away.

Calling seems good. Betting the river is certainly good.