Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 12-30-2005, 10:24 PM

Default Anyone else get depressed around the holidays?

Although Christmas is a great time of year where people are supposed to have fun, I find myself being depressed during the holidays every year.

I mean there are a few things that I'm struggling with atm (gf & money, but what's new right?) but I don't think that is the reason. This seems to happen every year with me, and I was wondering if any of you get this way as well...
Old 12-30-2005, 10:28 PM

Default Re: Anyone else get depressed around the holidays?

You were molested by a mall Santa as a young boy, but have repressed these emotions. However, once a year they resurface through your subconscious. When you see blinking lights on a christmas tree, you get a nervous facial tick and contemplate climing a tower and shooting people in the head with bullets painted like tiny little candy canes.

The mall Santa you seek now works at a Foley's in Hoboken, NJ. I would consider pressing charges.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:37 PM

if you have any tendancy towards SAD - (seasonal Affliction disorder) and live up north, winter drives you indoors and the short daylight hours can bring a guy down...

I dunno - I've had my ups and downs - this year was less about depression and more about just not giving a [censored] about the holidays - I didn't even buy anyone a present and I have one at home from family I haven't even opened yet - (it's clothes every year anyways)

so it happens - I remember seeing this video - Dave Koz? - some sax player doing a christmas tune - I saw it on the American West flight to Vegas - and it showed all these happy couples sipping champagne and everyone sitting around like a nice upper class Christmas party...

and I remember how many broke and hurting people there are this Christmas with all the natural disasters, and it just feels like [censored] to me - the idea that to show your love and brotherly goodwill that you go 2K into hock to buy gifts for people you never talk to...and you sit around like a pretentous [censored] while everyone gets close by the fireplace in the 2 mil. home. I wouldn't be in that room if you paid me 50K -

Well, I would, but I'd fall off the wagon and get shitfaced drunk to get thru it.

I'm turning into Scrooge - good times

RB
Old 12-30-2005, 10:44 PM

only if everyday is a holiday
Old 12-30-2005, 10:50 PM

Suicide rates skyrocket. Seasonal affective disorder hits a lot of people, I think. I love night coming early, but it really bums out lots of people I have known. I wouldn't be surprised if it has at least some effect on most people. I'm one of the rare people who actually likes a short day and a long night.

For me, Christmas is for kids. I don't meant that in a snotty way, but that it's not that interesting or special to me, except when little kids are around. Little kids tearing through wrapping paper and getting their new toys is one of the coolest things on earth. Their excitement and happiness is so much fun and so infectious. And the way they go out of their minds waiting till they can finally get to the presents is hilarious. It's almost like a mean streak in me, but it completely cracks me up, and I remember how crazy it made me when my mom and dad would drag out the time to open our presents until we were practically in a frenzy. Then when it was time, it was like we were shot out of a cannon and paper was flying everywhere. Great times. And I remember the same feelings with my younger brothers and sister. Watching them was such a blast. Even other people's kids can become tolerable under those conditions.

With just a bunch of other adults -- meh. Even when I like it, it usually wears out its welcome. There's only so much singing Christmas carols and making googly eyes at other adults that I can take before I get bored or my skin starts to crawl.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:55 PM

Dandy Warhols reference? - you may actually be cooler then I thought if that was intentional....LOL

RB
Old 12-30-2005, 10:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dandy Warhols reference? - you may actually be cooler then I thought if that was intentional....LOL

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, sorry not cool. Just my honest reaction to the question.
Old 12-31-2005, 04:47 AM

Been a doozy of a season here.

Christmas eve my wifes cousin takes a rifle and blows his face off in his parents driveway. He survived.

Christmas Day one of my co-workers didn't surivive his 40 cal to the temple.

Does it ever get that bad?