Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-15-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: \"Culture of Life\"

One of the best points I ever heard was when someone asked "what companies are the two biggest buildings in Boston named after" The Met Life and the Manu-Mutual buildings...two health insurance companies. Health insurance companies have much more power in the US than they ought to.

Nationalized health care in Canada put them out of business, thats why the corporate media in America hates the idea of nationalized health care, even though most americans support the idea.

Edit: 80 percent of americans support nationalized healthcare.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:07 PM

I'm not a republican, but you don't really care.

Anyway, the circumstances of the birth having nothing to do with whether or not murder of the child should be illegal. We don't let people kill 1 month old kids, and if we believe a fetus is alive then the same principle applies.

There are only two reasons to support abortion:
1) You don't think the fetus is alive.
2) You think it is alive, but you think murder is ok if it benefits the state/society.

To be honest, I think most abortion rights people, especially the ones that support partial birth abortion and such, believe in the second. It would certainly explain earlier poll results about how people on this forum thought it would be ok for the government to forcibly sterilize poor people.

However, in a society based on liberty which respects individual rights such beliefs seem barbaric to me. You can't murder or sterilize someone simply because you think thier existence is "inconvienent". If you want to support that line of reasoning, at least do it upfront, rather then bullshitting around about womens right's or whatever other straw men you might use to avoid this key issue.

P.S. No one forced anyone to have a kid, I don't recall any government sponsored insemination. But that is really beside the point where the "right to life" is concerned, since the circumstances of the birth are completely irrelevent.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:08 PM

You got it wrong. It is the culture of death that killed her.

The media didn't cover this because they knew it would bring people who are for live out of the woodwork. The media wants death, whether withdrawn life support, euthanasia, or abortion to be acceptable and normal. Being quiet and letting her die served the media's culture of death bias.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:42 PM

If you are willing to have the government pay for life support, are you not also willing to have the government pay for heart transplants, cancer screenings, experimental AIDS drugs, etc. What about if someone dies because they couldn't afford airbags in thier car. Should the government have an airbag tax?
Old 12-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Wow. Just wow.

So many things wrong with this post.

[ QUOTE ]
One of the best points I ever heard was when someone asked "what companies are the two biggest buildings in Boston named after" The Met Life and the Manu-Mutual buildings...two health insurance companies. Health insurance companies have much more power in the US than they ought to.

[/ QUOTE ] Interesting Boston factoid, for sure...but does it really mean anything? Would you be able to make your inferential leap if these two buildings were in New York? Also, how does having the biggest building equate to having too much power? Do you have facts to back this up, or are you making some convoluted "Size does matter" argument?

[ QUOTE ]
Nationalized health care in Canada put them out of business, thats why the corporate media in America hates the idea of nationalized health care, even though most americans support the idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
1)Government regulation and oversight kills competition by its very nature. How many times must we demonstrate the inefficiency of large bureaucracies? And...how many people choose Canadian medicine over American medicine? Are healthcare conditions in Canada better than those in the USA?
2)I imagine most Americans support FREE healthcare, because Americans support almost anything that they don't have to pay for(or, at least, not directly).

But...can you offer any proof for your 80 percent statistic? I know that universal healthcare was shot down in 1993-1994 when it was introduced by Hillary Clinton...but I cannot find any statistics for popular support on this. However, I posit that if 8 out of 10 Americans supported it, it would have passed.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are healthcare conditions in Canada better than those in the USA?

[/ QUOTE ]

The CIA seem to think so
Old 12-15-2005, 03:01 PM

Didn't we already debunk this in another post.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are only two reasons to support abortion:
1) You don't think the fetus is alive.
2) You think it is alive, but you think murder is ok if it benefits the state/society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Or you think a fetus is something in between a life and a glob of cells, but you think that the rights of the mother to control her body outweighs the potential for life that is the fetus.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:05 PM

If 'we' did, i very much doubt you had anything to do with it.
Old 12-15-2005, 03:15 PM

In 2003, the US spent 15.3 percent of its gdp on healthcare.

Health care spending accounted for 10.9 percent of the GDP in Switzerland, 10.7 percent in Germany, 9.7 percent in Canada and 9.5 percent in France, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development.