Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2003, 09:28 PM

Default Seeking Comments

First, let me thank all of you who have responded here to my posts and that of others. I have gained a lot from reading and pondering.

As is common for me, I spend a lot of my downtime pondering various aspects of Poker. I try to take what I have read in various locations and find important ideas. Many of the books cover various topics, but there are some ideas I am forming that haven't specifically been covered in books. So I am seeking comments about these thoughts in order that I might improve my game.

Observation #1) You have no control over the cards you get dealt. (Ignoring Draw Poker)

Observation #2) Though you might influence your opponents, the only person you can control is yourself.

Observation #3) Since you don't know what cards will be dealt to everyone in the future, you must rely upon probability theory to guide you.

Observation #4) Poker is a game of betting. Regardless of the type of game you are playing, betting is the primary action taken by players.

Observation #5) Even if you do everything correctly, you are not guaranteed to win the pot. Your goal must be correct decisions, not necessarily winning because of them.

Conclusions:

#1) Everything in Poker revolves around making the correct betting decision. Your sole advantage over your opponents is the ability to make better bets than your opponents.

#2) Making correct betting decisions involves three main factors:

a) Understanding the theory of betting and its implications
b) Understanding your opponents well enough to adjust your decisions accordingly and denying your opponents the same knowledge
c) Mastering sufficient control of yourself to avoid making poor decisions.

#3) The more you can master all 3 areas, the more successful you will be. If you don't understand the theory, you will make poor betting decisions. If you don't understand your opponents you will be unable to adjust your bets accordingly. If you bet too predictably your opponents will be able to make the correct decision regularly. (As a side note, thank you for the Fundamental Theorem Mr. Sklansky). If you don't control yourself, you will throw away money with poor bets.

Right now, I am working from these basic ideas. My goal is to improve in all 3 areas regularly and am curious what things I should add.

- Lex
Old 10-15-2003, 08:00 AM

Default Re: Seeking Comments

Good observations.
Old 10-15-2003, 02:41 PM

If you read TOP by Messrs. Sklansky and Malmuth, you'll find the Fundamental Theorem of Poker, paraphrased as follows:

Irrespective of outcomes of individual hands, in the long run: You play correctly when you bet exactly as you would if you could see all your opponents cards. You play incorrectly when you bet differently than you would if you could see all your opponents cards.

When you play correctly, you gain. When you play incorrectly, you lose. At the same time, when your opponents play correctly, you lose. When your opponents play incorrectly, you gain.

All that is well and good, but what are the implications?

Notice the four key parts of Theorem:
1) How can I determine the right bet?
- This first part leads to the theories regarding pot odds.
2) How can I determine my opponents cards?
- This leads to the theories of hand reading
3) How can I avoid making my opponents play correctly?
- This is table selection - a table where opponents play incorrectly i.e. chase without odds.
4) How can I make my opponents play incorrectly?
- This is deception - bluffing, check-raising and slowplaying.

Everything else is extrapolated off of these ideas.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:55 AM

I think you need to add one aspect, especially if you are playing limit hold'em:

The act of calling.

Once you are experienced enough to deal with Pot Odds you'll be making proper calls in the right situation to make hands that will win you pots.

Also, you can't over empthasize the power of position.

Welcome to the forum and keep posting,
Joe Tall
Old 10-16-2003, 04:33 PM

Just one comment:

Observation #4) Poker is a game of betting. Regardless of the type of game you are playing, betting is the primary action taken by players.

Change this to:

Observation #4) Poker is a game of folding. Regardless of the type of game you are playing, folding is the primary action taken by solid players.

-- Homer
Old 10-16-2003, 04:56 PM

What, you mean I am supposed to fold hands? Maybe that explains things [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img].

I see what you are saying, and I agree. My observation had to do with something different, so maybe I should make yours Observation #5.

- Lex
Old 10-17-2003, 12:35 AM

Poker is more than a game of betting or folding. Learning when to bet, call, or fold is the easy part.

Poker is a game of emotional control. To help you master that, may I suggest you practice the following excercise before each poker session.

1)Look squarely in a mirror. Look deeply into your own eyes.

2)Say outloud "I am dogshit!"

3)Say it again, "I am dogshit!", this time though say it louder and with more feeling.

4)Say it again, even louder and more sincere yet. Keep repeating this step until you are truely convinced you are nothing but dogshit.

5)Once you have come to accept you are nothing but dogshit, you will now be ready to play your "A-game".

This is a wonderful excercise to help you master emotional control because once you accept your dogshitness, No cards can ever fall that will emotionally harm you.

Stu