Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-27-2005, 04:17 PM

Default being too predictable

I seem to do better playing $20 no-limit than 1/2 or 2/4 limit. I can play for hours with little fluctuation if I wait and play only very good opening hands...problem: I am too predictable! Everyone folds when I play! It seems that the ones who take some risk do better. How do I play strong hands without being so predictable. i was thinking that when I first sit down I should play some rediculous hand
Old 12-27-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: being too predictable

I did something ridiculous lately, but got lucky. Watched a couple pre-flop raise at $1/2 NL to about $12 consistently. Every time, they'd show crap like 62o and never mix it up. Re-raised them, and they'd fold.

A few hands later, I turned around and raised with 73s to $7 in MP after about 3 folds while one of the bluffers was BB. He and SB called, but I got lucky when the flop came 833. Took down a big pot as the SB called me down to the river where I caught a boat.

The second example was really just luck, the first one is more of something you could do if you suspect someone of being more risky and playing worse hands for raises. Act like you've got the best, but if he comes back over the top, you very well may be beat. Then just let it go.
Old 12-27-2005, 05:00 PM

When playing online, people really aren't paying that much attention to you at the lower limits. Sit and watch how quickly the table turns over - most folks are not sticking around to really get a read on you.

What you're seeing could easily be coincidence if you play very few hands.

My suggestion would be to consider loosening up slightly if you find you're not getting action. Perhaps you're not playing speculative hands cheaply. Limp with the good limping hands. Just because you enter a pot cheaply doesn't mean you have to do anything other than see a flop. Be prepared to let the hand go, even if you catch a piece of the flop.

As for playing a ridiculous hand up front to set an "image" - don't bother. No one is really paying attention to your image at those games.

Regards,

T
Old 12-27-2005, 05:38 PM

I mean a B&M cardroom where players are indeed paying attention and stay at a table for hours
Old 12-27-2005, 05:47 PM

You are doing good by creating a tight image. When you notice that you are getting no action mix in a semi-bluff or a few continuation bets here and there. If you continue to get no action step it up. If you get caught a couple of times start playing rock tight again. Rinse and repeat and cash out regularly.
Old 12-27-2005, 07:45 PM

How did you pick the ring you are playing at in the B&M?

Did you look for the looser tables (number of players staying in the action), tourist in the action (some are obvious look at the clothes), drinks flowing, chat in full progress, pot sizes, players looking away from the table when they are not in active hands, and much laughter?

I seldom enter a B&M, even those I frequently go to, without planning on just observing who's doing what in the card room first.

I don't just stand around looking obvious but usually will get someone into a conversation while im really paying attention to whats going on in the room. A few minutes spent doing that can have a dramatic effect on what you encounter when you do get seated and rack up.

Sheridan was speaking to online games but he also is correct in many ways to B&M action. Not every table at a B&M gives a crap about what really is happening at the tables. I have played countless B&M tables where it is more a matter of social gathering than serious poker.

The bottom line here is if you think your too predictable then you may be at the wrong table at the wrong time.

Other than what I have said I would agree to comments about changing style of play especially when you can cheaply explore a few marginal hands that have great +EV potential.

Monty
Old 12-27-2005, 10:44 PM

To summarize two important themes in the above replies:

1. Beware overcompensation to fix a problem that may never really be that acute in the first place!

2. Rather than playing "ridiculous hands", consider semibluffing, playing hands that already have some drawing value more aggressively. Preflop this could mean raising suited connectors the same way you raise a big pair -- as Harrington points out, waiting on SCs will randomize your steals better than you could do yourself. Postflop this could mean playing more aggressively with strong draws (flushes, OESDs) and perhaps a few weaker draws (such as gutshot straights or a so-called five-outer like bottom pair).
Old 12-28-2005, 09:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I mean a B&M cardroom where players are indeed paying attention and stay at a table for hours

[/ QUOTE ]

$20 NL and 1/2 limit in B&M play? Didn't know they existed.

Regards,

T
Old 12-28-2005, 10:18 AM

I have seen 1-2 - but never a $20 NL - that sounds like its online to me.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:45 AM

Wow 1/2 limit. The rake must be a killer.

Regards,

T