Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-20-2005, 05:41 PM

Default Big Pots, medium pairs

A problem I'm having a lot, especially in Party loose wild games, is how to play pairs with an overcard in big multiway pots.

For example, regular fishfest game, but no totally retarded folks limping with 83o. I have 88 in LMP. Maybe 2 limpers, I decide a raise will not limit the field so I limp and try to flop a set. The CO raises and we're something like 6 ways to the flop with 12 SBs in the pot.

Take a flop like J52, three tone.

Now, big pot theory says there is a chance I have the best hand and have to play it aggressively to limit the field and get overcards out.

On the other hand, it is highly unlikely that any pair or J is leaving no matter what on the flop, and waiting til the turn to get wild could be unnecessarily expensive, especially if a 9 or any broadway slides off.

Check and let the PFR bet? what if he gets calls? I think a CR I can fold to. Bet out and let the PFR raise? A J will call two cold I think.

What to do, oh what to do?
Old 12-20-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Big Pots, medium pairs

You are correct in thinking that you will not fold a better hand. If you could rely on PFR to raise you on the flop, I'd go ahead and bet it. If he won't raise you with AK/AQ there, might as well check it, and see if a raise materializes.
Old 12-21-2005, 08:19 AM

knowing your PF raiser is big. Bet if he'll raise. If he raises and everyone folds prepare for showdown. If he raises and someone coldcalls then reevaluate. If he won't raise AK then it depends. If it's a small field the bet is good since he'll tell you when he has a better hand. In a large field just check and see what action develops.
Old 12-21-2005, 09:42 AM

Bet it regardless of whether the PFR will raise you. If you check it, the PFR will auto-bet 99% of the time and that opens you up to get raised out of the pot by another player. And a lot more than a J is going to raise him here at a typical 10-20+ table.

- Jim
Old 12-21-2005, 07:41 PM

Point of clarification:

This is a more general question than that particular flop.

say, 44 on a 852 board or even 22 on a 633 board.