Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-18-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: 5-10 live and a proper free showdown play. (I think)

I sometimes raise this preflop in this position (or UTG) or even a hand like 98s, and sometimes I just call. It depends on how much I've been raising at that point and if they've seen me bet flop and check/fold turn recently. It's not a big EV difference either way. I just felt on this hand that it would be better to not be noticed at the moment.

The reason I would check river if called is because of QJ/KJ or even a 7 that wants to get in check/raise. Also, what if a Q,K, or A hits? Am I really betting the river then after SB calls a raise?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The reason I would check river if called is because of QJ/KJ or even a 7 that wants to get in check/raise. Also, what if a Q,K, or A hits? Am I really betting the river then after SB calls a raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah you are likely chopping or have fallen behind if an A,K, or Q falls so I don't mind checking behind here, unless you think he would bet out with a smaller pair on the turn?
Old 12-18-2005, 04:58 PM

My image at this point is also quite strong. The only winning hands I've shown down is flopped quads where I managed to check/raise 3 people on the turn after a bet from my immediate left and a flush that I bet on flop and turn that hit river.

So if they see me raise the turn it should seem extra strong, even to them. Which is another reason that if called I'm checking river. He probably folds 88 or 99 on turn.
Old 12-18-2005, 06:05 PM

Given the description of both opponent's this turn seems pretty standard to me. River I may bet (if not for the 3-bet obviously) considering the turn better is a blind and your kicker is likely good...if it still plays by then.