Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 11:18 PM

Default Re: Results

semi-bluffing is highly overrated at these stakes. All you are doing here is burning money because none of these opponents are folding top pair. A lot of these villains will pay you off even if you hit so i don't think the play is that +EV because of the extremely low FE against most villains and the high variance associated with putting in your money on a coin flip.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:35 PM

it's a partial semi bluff, b/c you don't mind if he folds here, but it's also about getting paid off when you make your hand. If you hit your king or diamond falls off (especially a paint diamond), can you still stack him?

These considerations, plus the fact that you have 12 live outs twice and there is money in the pot already (so you're coin flipping, but getting an overlay) have to make pushing +EV.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:43 PM

It is +EV. It's not the most EV+. If you like to just push when you're behind, or even as a small favorite, with 0 fold equity then good luck to you. I don't know what limit you are playing but you will find that semi-bluffs do not work as well as advertised. It's good to read TOP, but not all of those concepts apply to beating fish at 25NL on Party. Personally i haven't found semi-bluffing in raised pots to be very effective even up to 200NL. Yes, it's a valuable skill, but pick your spots because the vast majority of people are not folding top pair in this spot, IMO.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 PM

I do agree that some will not fold TPTK to a 3bet.

Assuming fold equity is 0 and pushing is still +EV:

what play do you like instead? If you call and miss, what do you do? If you call and hit a diamond, especially the J or Q, or your king, do you still get it all? any?
Old 12-16-2005, 12:05 AM

OOP, i like a check/call or fold depending on the size of the bet. I am far from being a nit but an inability to fold hands like these is why most people, including myself, are not winning very much money with hands like AKs AK AQs. The other issue in these hands is you probably have someone dominated so on Q72 flop you dont know if you are agains KQ or AQ, thus you really can't even confidently play those outs if they come.
A play that i have found efffective against players who you have 0 FE against is pushing any card that makes your/straight flush because oftentimes they will convince themselves you are bluffing.
Old 12-16-2005, 12:18 AM

push..not even close since hero is oop
Old 12-16-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Re: A rare drawing hand for me

I push. Get it in now.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:19 AM

You only have to get a fold 5% of the time for this push to be ev+. Well played, FISH [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-16-2005, 01:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You only have to get a fold 5% of the time for this push to be ev+. Well played, FISH [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

But these guys never fold after minraising the flop. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]