Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Beginner question about using odds tables

I posted this in the beginners area, but I'm not getting any feedback.

Do you ever use the turn-to-river odds for your flop-to-river odds? If you do, when is it appropriate?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: Beginner question about using odds tables

[ QUOTE ]
I posted this in the beginners area, but I'm not getting any feedback.

Do you ever use the turn-to-river odds for your flop-to-river odds? If you do, when is it appropriate?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am having a really hard time understanding the question. Please give some sort of clarification/example
Old 12-14-2005, 08:39 PM

someone told me here that if you know that you will have to call a bet on the turn, that it's more appropriate to use the turn-to-river odds instead of using the flop-to-river odds. Is this common practice for everyone?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
someone told me here that if you know that you will have to call a bet on the turn, that it's more appropriate to use the turn-to-river odds instead of using the flop-to-river odds. Is this common practice for everyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I know the concept you mean. If you know you can call a turn bet, it is correct to use flop to river odds, rather than just flop to turn odds. Make sure you factor in that you will be paying 1.5BB
Old 12-14-2005, 08:45 PM

I think this is what he's asking:

We know that its roughly 2:1 for us to hit our flush card on the river, but to hit it on the turn specifically its more like 4:1. I think he's asking if we take that into consideration when we're on the flop or in a situation where we're not likely to draw to a river card.

If thats the questions, then yes, you have to take that into consideration, especially when the pot is short handed on the flop (3 or less)
Old 12-14-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I know the concept you mean. If you know you can call a turn bet, it is correct to use flop to river odds, rather than just flop to turn odds. Make sure you factor in that you will be paying 1.5BB

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by "... can call a turn bet..." do you mean you will have to call a turn bet?
Old 12-14-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by "... can call a turn bet..." do you mean you will have to call a turn bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean you know that you will definitely have odds to call a turn bet
Old 12-14-2005, 08:58 PM

I thought of another way to ask this... when are we considering ourselves only drawing to the turn and not to the river? Obviously a flush/straight draw is to the river.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:04 PM

pot is 9SB and you flop a gutshot. Guy bets, folded to you and you're getting 10:1 to call. You can call here, but if you miss on the turn you will only bet getting like 6.5:1 to call on the turn if he bets again.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought of another way to ask this... when are we considering ourselves only drawing to the turn and not to the river? Obviously a flush/straight draw is to the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, if want to know if you have the odds to call the flop and reevaluate on the turn (or call the turn and reevaluate on the river), then you should use the turn-river odds (in either case. The flop-turn odds are a little worse, but the difference is negligible).

You generally use the turn-river odds more often, to determine if you have the pot odds to call a bet (for instance, if you're drawing to a gutshot, and you need to know how big the pot should be for a +EV call). You usually only use the flop-river odds if you're calculating your pot equity to see if you can bet/raise for value (for instance, pumping a flush draw on the flop).

You sound like you've got the gyst of it.