Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 12-12-2005, 06:48 AM

Default Any high stakes guys lurk in here?

I read BBV and I read hands that these guys post some of which contain pots that equal more than a week's pay to me. I'm not a poor guy but I'm also not rich either, but even if I were I don't know how I'd handle losing an $800 pot on a 3 outer with 1 card to come. Do you have to be born with the blatant disregard for money or is it something you develop from being an action junkie over a long period of time? Also, how much of a hinderance is a regard for money to moving up in limits?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:38 AM

Default Re: Any high stakes guys lurk in here?

I'm not a highstakes player, but I am in the process of moving to 10/20 at the moment.

It's a problem I run into a lot. But moving up the levels one by one helps adjustment. I remember the first time I moved to 2/4 the amount of money there scared the crap out of me. Now it feels like practically nothing. I'm sure the same thing will eventually happen at 10/20, though the higher I get the more my brain resists divorcing poker money from real money.

For me, overcoming this is the hardest part of poker.
Old 12-12-2005, 10:56 AM

If you are sufficiently bankrolled for your level (be it $0.02/$0.04 LHE up to NL $1000) then you should never be concerned about an individual pot or hand. I think it is more a lack of the fear of losing that makes higher stakes players successful, though many will likely consider that the same as a disregard for money.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But moving up the levels one by one helps adjustment. I remember the first time I moved to 2/4 the amount of money there scared the crap out of me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, true dat. I was able to desensitize myself fairly easily at 1/2 but 2/4 is proving more of a challenge. I can't imagine anyone jumping right into that. Baby steps...
Old 12-12-2005, 12:38 PM

Disregard for money is the wrong term. You are talking about fear of losing and the emotional pain you will have to deal with when you suffer the inevitable loss and bad beats, which happen in greater frequency online simply because of the speed of the game.
I play small limit as low as 50cent/$1 and take my shots at 5-10PL and $20-40 Limit as well as the mid-limit games. It depends on my mood, the game selection and what site and bonuses I am clearing. I hate to re-deposit at a site and I've been playing online for years. I haven't got over the hurdle of being unaffected by losses, which has its drawbacks and advantages. Fear of losing has cost me money I think in the long run, but I remain happy and relatively sane. My advice is to never get in a game where the result may be too drastic for you to handle emotionally if you lose - meaning it might affect your outlook on life, ruin your day, cause your poker game to be affected, etc... Take your shots and build up your roll one step at a time. Once you get to the point where you are always playing with other people's money you are essentially on a lifetime free-roll and will be able to handle bigger losses.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My advice is to never get in a game where the result may be too drastic for you to handle emotionally if you lose

[/ QUOTE ]

Another strategy is to do the reverse. I took a 30BB shot at 10/20 this spring when I was just playing 3/6 regularly. I lost it all, but when I went back to 3/6 bad luck essentially just bounced off.

[ QUOTE ]
Once you get to the point where you are always playing with other people's money you are essentially on a lifetime free-roll and will be able to handle bigger losses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always been playing with other people's money, and it's still hard. But I've always had a too-conservative attitude toward money.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:11 PM

right now 2/4 is high stakes for me!! I'll get out of the kiddie pool one of these days.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:54 PM

I don't consider myself to be a high-stakes player yet, but I'll answer anyway.

Being too risk-averse is a big obstacle for some people, including me. I made two $400 mistakes this past Saturday. The first was stacking off stupidly with trips when I needed a full house to call the river raise. The second was cutting my session short as a result, decreasing my expected win for the night.

Playing online blackjack for bonuses helped me. It means I'm still overbankrolled, and I experienced several days in which I lost $1k while being sure that I was taking +EV gambles.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I read BBV and I read hands that these guys post some of which contain pots that equal more than a week's pay to me. I'm not a poor guy but I'm also not rich either, but even if I were I don't know how I'd handle losing an $800 pot on a 3 outer with 1 card to come. Do you have to be born with the blatant disregard for money or is it something you develop from being an action junkie over a long period of time? Also, how much of a hinderance is a regard for money to moving up in limits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Money isnt real, at least not in this game. Money are dots on a screen or different colored pieces of clay. Its just another way to keep score, and the right play gets you the highest score.

As you move up in stakes, finding the right decision becomes a more and more complex process. It often requires high-talented individuals thinking very clearly. Worrying about the "cost" of making a play is going to cloud your judgment and cause you to make mistakes. Those more able to not worry about the money are going to perform better.

It also helps that as you move up, your worst swings become larger in terms of dollar amounts, so its not actually that much worse. Furthermore, losing that two thousand dollar pot doesnt seem so bad once youve lose 20K in a week, or even a night.

peace

john nickle
Old 12-13-2005, 12:33 PM

Saw this post under the post of the day category and thought i would give my 2 cents

Let me begin by saying a year ago I was playing 1/2 2/4 &3/6 and I watched 5/10 games in awe at how much money was thrown around and large swings

Now my regular game is 30/60 and I am rolled for higher when i am ready

I dont consider myself a great player, however I have put in alot of time and research, and learned to beat each level thru persistence and constantly plugging trying to plug holes and rerunning hands in my head wondering what i could have done to take down the pot

the swings are hard to take, but if you wait until your BR can support the jump to another level it can make the adjustment ALOT easier....

even now i cant imagine playing 100/200 that just seems unreal, but hopefully there will come a day that my BR can afford such swings and i can make that transition

looking back the hardest transition for me was moving up to 5/10 it took what seemed like forever to learn to beat this game and even longer to make a permanant tranistion to 10/20

w/ each level in addition to the larger swings u will have new challenges in the way of tougher competition and have to master new skills that will be required to beat ea. level

the swings should not be ur biggest concern, you should be able to afford them before taking the risk

i made the mistake of moving up 2 soon a couple times underbankrolled and ended up playing way to tight and passive and was quickly sent packing to a lower limit and a large loss

anyway just my thoughts

also, unrelated but gonna say it anyway....take the time to master shorthanded play, this was a huge breakthru for me

later