Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 03:51 PM

Default Raised on the river with a scare card...

Party Poker 1.00/2.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is BB with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (5.00 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, MP2 calls, Button calls, SB folds.

Turn: (4.00 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, Button folds.

River: (6.00 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.00 BB.

-I've only seen 21 hands from this guy, but he's seen 62% of them. I was thinking a HUGE range of hands here. Was it right to call?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Raised on the river with a scare card...

Depends on what hands you put villian on. Is it reasonable to assume he was on a straight draw and hit? Lots of people play JT, many really loose players seem to play J-x. When the 8 falls in situations like this one, I usually c/c expecting to see the straight.

FWIW, I was reviewing my PT stats and found that I'm absolutly donktastic in the Big Blind. I've spewed 2BB/100 from that position over 3K hands. I've played like a total idiot from that position.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, I was reviewing my PT stats and found that I'm absolutly donktastic in the Big Blind. I've spewed 2BB/100 from that position over 3K hands. I've played like a total idiot from that position.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's all say it together...everyone is a loser in the BB!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:08 PM

the dude's stats dont matter. it's probably best off if you just ignore it all together. i would've went along the lines of check/call on the river, because it's likely that you'll get called/raised with better hands while the worse hands fold.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:10 PM

Flop -- any thought to a c/r here? In a five-way pot with a semi-coordinated board, isn't one of the last two players very likely to want to bet it up, no matter what either one holds? And then your raise either gets more money into the pot while you're ahead, or puts more pressure on middle players with a thin draw to let go. Or both.

River -- Yup. He's betting as if he has the J, and he probably does. But you need only an 11.1% chance of taking down the pot to justify a call. He'd bet the same way if he had T8, 98 or Q8. There's about a 11.2% chance that your hand is still good.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:13 PM

Good river call. You'll lose this almost all the time, but you'll win often enough to be good.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:15 PM

*grunch*

Good bet on the flop - no need to "slowplay"
Easy call on the river. I guess I'd see a Jx or 88 here about 80% of the time, and sutff like lower 2pr or even A8 the other 20%. Getting 9:1, call
Old 12-06-2005, 05:36 PM

...grunch...

Getting 9:1, I think I'll see "monster" hands like 9T or T8 or KQ often enough to be willing to pay off the jack.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:23 PM

*grunch*

You can't lay down on the river to a raise. Is this river worth value-betting though? Maybe, maybe not. I'd probably check and call the river, half expecting some random J (or a legit hand like JT.) But if villain was on a flush draw and tried to make you fold by representing the straight...that's one reason I wouldn't fold. Wouldn't it be great if he had Jh 6h?

ScottieK
Old 12-06-2005, 08:13 PM

Just check/call the river you're already WB a dude with Q better kicker.