Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 06:03 PM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

[ QUOTE ]
hahaha well, the frat guys use lots of cheesy sh.it like explaining how amazing the catcher in the rye and the great gatsby is written (although to be honest, i'm just basing this off of a specific frat guy i know).

when i go to charley's i go with my buddies, and we don't talk politics. i like it a lot there; great food, pretty good music, fun atmosphere.

however, at a house party i had, and a few i've been to lately, there's been these shmucks debating about really dumb political stuff--ie- not even interesting issues. more like, "you like bush dude! what is wrong with you! he's destroying our country!"

i'm not sure what skeepers is, should i check it out? i like going to the brown jug, as well.

edit--i've only been to pike once, and they had a real cool ratio going. good times...

[/ QUOTE ]

skeepers = Scorekeepers -- off of E. Liberty, across the street from Borders. I'm guessing you know what it is/have been there. We used to call it skeepers.

As I remember, dumb schmucks abounded at every party. When they talked politics or were having otherwise faux academic/intellectual conversations, I just cringed and walked away. They should have saved that crap for their GSI.

Pike ALWAYS had a good ratio. I had a few buddies who were in there and let me in -- but they were pretty vigilant about keeping the ratios at the right level. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I don't think I ever stepped foot in a frat house after my freshman year -- but yeah Pike was good times.
Old 11-25-2005, 06:20 PM

I've had good political discussions and bad ones. It can be an interesting subject, but it usually is loud, arrogant banter. I simply try not to associate with insecure males that try to show off, and my life is a lot better for it ^_^
Old 11-26-2005, 02:19 AM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

[ QUOTE ]
I find discussions about politics to be really annoying at any form of social gathering. It irritates me most of all at parties; I can't stand guys who somehow think the louder they talk, the more right they are. And the ones who try to impress chicks with their political knowledge and how passionate they are/how they think people who oppose them are idiots, are the actual idiots. Girls are not gonna hook up with a guy b/c of his political beliefs or how pretentious he is; in fact, most won't even talk to a guy like that. So, wtf? Thoughts on this?

And today at Thansgiving dinner there were a few political discussions where one guy somehow thought he could convince another he was wrong. These conversations seem so fruitless; no one is going to change their mind on the issue and if they do, they're not going to admit it.

I was wondering if any of you agree with me on this, or if you actually enjoy these political conversations.

Also, I do realize that this post may have come off as somewhat hostile to those of you who may actually do this, which was not the intent. I'm just curious about these conversations b/c they happen all the time and I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It seems such conversations sway no one, and always cultivate negative feelings.

I also think most people base global opinions on irrelevant childhood experiences. For example, if your parents were poor, then you think the rich should pay more taxes REGARDLESS of the economics of the issue, and you can not possibly be dissuaded from this opinion.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:31 AM

I have a no politics at work policy, except with foriegners. I try to explain that smarter American's know how stupid our politicians are and we can't do anything about it. They appreciate it. But I almost never talk to other Americans.