Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 03:15 AM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

One thing I learned in the past year: Getting into a shouting match over a random topic that is meaningless is incredibly entertaining and fun, as long as you can talk enough about the subject, especially when neither of you will give in.

Ex: My friend thinks Obi-Wan is more awesome than Yoda. He is clearly wrong, and arguing about his wrongness is fun. But, I don't dislike him for thinking Obi-Wan is more awesome than Yoda, though I should. :P
Old 11-25-2005, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
certain girls? the visual i have is someone trying to score with a young janet reno. or maybe a young hillary. or a young, pre-crazy ann coulter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take the present day super crazy Ann Coulter.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:17 AM

Well you've come to the right place.

Funnily enough, despite my penchant for this board, in real life I tend to avoid political conversations like the plague, except with very close friends and family.
Old 11-25-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
As for the girl issue, I don't feel like people who seemingly are knowledgeable (although many times just regurgitate stuff they've heard from media sources) are necessarily smart. As someone mentioned, it's similar to discussing sports; I can name almost every player on the Bears but that doesn't entail any form of intelligence. So my conclusion for this would be that it shouldn't impress a girl and if it does, it'll be a minority of girls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very observant and 100% correct IMO. Many a teenage girl will instinctively pick up on whether a dude's knowledge is useful or not, while a lot of 40+ dudes have no clue about what really matters, except maybe in the little microcosm they choose to operate in.

The sports analogy works nicely for me since I've been making my living betting on sports for 6 years now yet I can hardly name any players/coaches/owners etc. and usually seem rather clueless in any typical sports conversation. Dudes are constantly telling me what's really important and I just go uh-huh um-hmm and pretend I'm learning something (well actually I am learning more about what dumdums tend to bet on and what biases are likely to exist in the lines, so it helps me know what kind of things to bet AGAINST)
Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find discussions about politics to be really annoying at any form of social gathering. It irritates me most of all at parties; I can't stand guys who somehow think the louder they talk, the more right they are. And the ones who try to impress chicks with their political knowledge and how passionate they are/how they think people who oppose them are idiots, are the actual idiots. Girls are not gonna hook up with a guy b/c of his political beliefs or how pretentious he is; in fact, most won't even talk to a guy like that. So, wtf? Thoughts on this?

And today at Thansgiving dinner there were a few political discussions where one guy somehow thought he could convince another he was wrong. These conversations seem so fruitless; no one is going to change their mind on the issue and if they do, they're not going to admit it.

I was wondering if any of you agree with me on this, or if you actually enjoy these political conversations.

Also, I do realize that this post may have come off as somewhat hostile to those of you who may actually do this, which was not the intent. I'm just curious about these conversations b/c they happen all the time and I just don't get it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm extremely curious. What do discuss at your parties, in terms of impressing women or otherwise? Given the choice, what would you talk to a strange woman about for 15-20 minutes at a party (besides the +EV HER?) Cars? Clothes? Reality TV? No thanks, no thanks, and no f'ing thanks. I'm not at all interested in the internet capabilities of a goddamned cell phone either.

I agree talking politics at a party is not likely to impress most women, but it's not a universal rule.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
what would you talk to a strange woman about for 15-20 minutes at a party (besides the +EV HER?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This situation is either raise or fold IMO. If you want to shag the chick, you maximize EV and talk about her, if not, just ignore her. If you do the latter conspicuously enough it might even get you in the sack faster.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Supposedly at USC there is no type of girl that is not hot, i think the story is much different at... cornell.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. most definitely. but reno and coulter were a cornell reference.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:31 AM

Old 11-25-2005, 09:04 AM

It is okay for us man, there is not a lot of problems that absolutely need to be changed in the West, for some people 'disgusting acts of violence' are the only shot they have.

Mack
Old 11-25-2005, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
what would you talk to a strange woman about for 15-20 minutes at a party (besides the +EV HER?)

[/ QUOTE ]

This situation is either raise or fold IMO. If you want to shag the chick, you maximize EV and talk about her, if not, just ignore her. If you do the latter conspicuously enough it might even get you in the sack faster.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh is that measured in EV now, how do you do that when you don't know how good it will be, you could be thinking you went in with AA only to find out 30 seconds later that you only have 2s and are hoping for a coinflip, heads I win, tails you lose.

Regards Mack