Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 01:13 AM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

[ QUOTE ]
certain girls? the visual i have is someone trying to score with a young janet reno. or maybe a young hillary. or a young, pre-crazy ann coulter.

[/ QUOTE ]

...all of which sound hot to me.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:26 AM

The problem that I find with most political conversations is that they don't even attempt to get to what politics as we know them are trying to do: improve the lot of people's lives.

Almost invariably it's just biased news gourmandizing based upon a pre-determined set of beliefs and not reason.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The politics forum is not a politics forum. It's arguing on the internet with politics as the premise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do read it though. I enjoy the thoughts of Cyrus and pvn; even though I fall somewhere in between their views, they are both pretty smart fellers.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a political science major and I completely agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of job are you planning to get with this major?
Old 11-25-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what kind of job are you planning to get with this major?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell, pro surfer, what else? [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 11-25-2005, 01:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
certain girls? the visual i have is someone trying to score with a young janet reno. or maybe a young hillary. or a young, pre-crazy ann coulter.

[/ QUOTE ]

...all of which sound hot to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Supposedly at USC there is no type of girl that is not hot, i think the story is much different at... cornell.

seriously, for most semi intelligent girls, it really helps if you are smart and know how to show it. this involves being understated, some other intangible stuff, basically the opposite of the loud angry guy.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:12 AM

A few things:

1. I used to hate when people talked about politics, but recently in an English class we write a lot about American wars so things are more interesting now, the more informed I am.

2. I don't know how old you are, but college students like myself or our generation are said to be apathetic towards current events. IMO I think it is important to be knowledgable about current events, but there is no need to know everything or know nothing.

3. Many people when they sit with others at a meal try and talk about neutral things like the weather, sometimes its good when people start mixing it up with each other.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hah, ucsb political science major...that sounds familar. i was that, now im a ucsc economics/politics major, i pretty much hate politics though, after awhile it just turns into the same roundabout argument.

rj
Old 11-25-2005, 02:25 AM

Hmm, I never like talking politics any more, cos it just seems petty.

I now accept politics machinations etc are well beyond my control as an individual, and to act individually to try and change things is either a waste of time, act of frustration, or for the extremists who do this, an act of disgusting violence.

There's so many more ways you can either be happier or better yourself or use your time than waste time on this, it seems a pretty trivial subject. I no longer read newspapers, for example, cos they are either not news (celebrity gossip, stupid speculation that doesn't serve any purpose other than scare/confuse/misdirect attetion), or they are full of political navel-gazing.

The only exception to this I think the previous poster touched on - good to know the historical perspectives on things, as this makes you better understand the culture and times we live in.

Politics is a huge sap on thinking time, there is science, art, music, philosophy, history, geography + travel, learning about other cultures etc that are all much more worthwhile and productive, IMHO.

Edit: For me, the big problem is I don't agree with any single party's manifesto/approaches/goals. I agree with one on 1 subject, another on another subject, and none of em on a third. I think most people feel this, too, and thus become disinterested, as no one party truly represents them.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:10 AM

I took a political science class and I actually found it very interesting; namely the game theory aspects of running a government.

Most of the posters mentioned a lot of the stuff that I believe. I find that it can be interesting to talk about specific issues with friends sometimes, as long as they arent deuches about it (ie-they just talk and hear opinions without freaking out about it). However, I don't think that a party atmosphere is the best place for this, nor an enjoyable dinner with friends and family.

As for the girl issue, I don't feel like people who seemingly are knowledgeable (although many times just regurgitate stuff they've heard from media sources) are necessarily smart. As someone mentioned, it's similar to discussing sports; I can name almost every player on the Bears but that doesn't entail any form of intelligence. So my conclusion for this would be that it shouldn't impress a girl and if it does, it'll be a minority of girls.

As for the guy who seemed to insinuate that I was saying "nobody should ever talk at parties!" way to make no sense there buddy.