Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2005, 10:21 PM

Default I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

I find discussions about politics to be really annoying at any form of social gathering. It irritates me most of all at parties; I can't stand guys who somehow think the louder they talk, the more right they are. And the ones who try to impress chicks with their political knowledge and how passionate they are/how they think people who oppose them are idiots, are the actual idiots. Girls are not gonna hook up with a guy b/c of his political beliefs or how pretentious he is; in fact, most won't even talk to a guy like that. So, wtf? Thoughts on this?

And today at Thansgiving dinner there were a few political discussions where one guy somehow thought he could convince another he was wrong. These conversations seem so fruitless; no one is going to change their mind on the issue and if they do, they're not going to admit it.

I was wondering if any of you agree with me on this, or if you actually enjoy these political conversations.

Also, I do realize that this post may have come off as somewhat hostile to those of you who may actually do this, which was not the intent. I'm just curious about these conversations b/c they happen all the time and I just don't get it.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: I can\'t stand conversations that involve politics

I enjoy political conversations when I'm with close friends and we're drinking. Otherwise, you can get away with talking politics, but it has to be a sort of "political small-talk" that everyone can agree on.

"Boy. I sure do think torture is wrong."

"Indeed. I agree with that. We definitely shouldn't torture people."

"Agreed. My, this turkey is unusually good."
Old 11-24-2005, 10:45 PM

People who like politics talk about politics, people who like sports talk about sports, etc.

And both of those subjects are a lot alike in the sense that 98% of those w/ strong opinions have no idea what's going on.

I have strong political opinions on most things, and I love to talk about them, and I can tell you why. However, I am open-minded and love to have discourse w/ other open-minded people about politics.

Unfortunately, such a conversation is all too rare, usually replaced w/ mindless ripping of any opposing viewpoint. I agree w/ you in that I find THESE conversations highly annoying and pointless.

As for someone trying to impress a girl with their political savvy...generally not a good idea. I talk about politics because I enjoy doing so, not because I'm trying to impress some blonde bimbo who doesn't even know who the vice president is.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 PM

I'm a political science major and I completely agree.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:50 PM

i hate people who talk. especially at parties. they think that if they talk, then girls are going to be more likely to hook up with them. MORONS! those girls are lesbos! they ain't hooking up with any of you! i've tried talking to them, and it's painfully clear they are lesbos!

*sarcasm off*

politics can be boring, but you should try reading something intelligent about it and developing a logical opinion. you'll be that more interested in politics, and that much more interesting to talk to at parties.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:58 PM

You need to stay out of the Politics forum then. It is basically what you described, except in text form. I don't know why people bother posting there. It's not a discussion, it's just a means for each ideology to spout off their views and to shout down the views of the opposing side.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:59 PM

The politics forum is not a politics forum. It's arguing on the internet with politics as the premise.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:00 PM

if you are smart and talk in an understated manner talking about some political/world issues can score you a lot of points with certain girls.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 PM

certain girls? the visual i have is someone trying to score with a young janet reno. or maybe a young hillary. or a young, pre-crazy ann coulter.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:55 AM

I don't really find politics interesting, but never shy away from a philosophy arguement (very simliar for the most part). They can be very enjoyable, and you can learn something from them. And the point of everything isn't to impress girls. Sometimes you may be at a party and a friend or acquantence has some view you disagree with and want to challenge. With a lot of people these talks won't go anywhere, but there are people who can be very stimulating and challenge what you thought you knew. Even if they have nothing interesting to say, you have a chance to reorganize your arguments and kind of challenge yourself on the issue. And sometimes the other person will walk away with something you have told them.

But I do agree with you, to many people think they have all the answers and don't really want to discuss, but show of how smart they are.