Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 11-24-2005, 10:26 AM

Default Re: People who think online is rigged...

another thing. The avatars on party poker, I dont like them. They make me not wanna play on the site. They are just evil for some reason, I have had to get other party art to erase them and their chairs. I just hate looking at them, they are just sneaky and evil and give me bad feeling about that site. I think its because I had so many bad beats on party poker when I first started playing when I was playing limit. I need a witchdoctor to undo this jinx I have upon myself
Old 11-24-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
another thing. The avatars on party poker, I dont like them. They make me not wanna play on the site. They are just evil for some reason, I have had to get other party art to erase them and their chairs. I just hate looking at them, they are just sneaky and evil and give me bad feeling about that site. I think its because I had so many bad beats on party poker when I first started playing when I was playing limit. I need a witchdoctor to undo this jinx I have upon myself

[/ QUOTE ]

you can turn them off. how long you been playing online?
Old 11-24-2005, 10:30 AM

since june
Old 11-24-2005, 10:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Part of whats happening is that people experience gambling decisions emotionally, and are confused by the meaning of their results, as well as the game itself. Instead of thinking "I have no idea whats going on" they pretend that they understand whats going on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is particularly insightful.

I experienced something vaguely similar to this last night when I was playing a home game with some friends. We started talking about Tiffany Williamson at the WSOP when one my friends asserted that this woman "knew what the hell she was doing."

I scoffed, and the guy came back with, "Well, she's a lawyer so she can't be stupid."

It occured to me that this guy simply didn't have enough understanding of NLHE to accurately assess anyone else's skill level. He simply saw Williamson's results and reasoned that this was an indication of good play.

I think the "she must be good because she's a lawyer" line of thought further illuminate's Snowball's comment. Doctors, lawyers, accountants...etc start playing this game and assume that their intelligence gives them an automatic edge over other players. When their results don't back this up, they engage in conspiracy theories to explain the discrepency.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

They're clearly are not THAT stupid.
Many are college-educated...have jobs...even as doctors, lawyers, psychologists, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget that there are many college-educated people - that have jobs - even in the fields that you mentioned - that many, I'm sure, would consider "stupid" when it comes to lots of facets of life.

As far as the topic goes, I've played at all sorts of sites and, like many I'm sure, I've done better at some than others so ... I just play where I've done better. I don't blame it on the site being rigged, rather that my play style (or my opponents' lack thereof) "fits" best in certain places.

And for the naysayers, I've tried dozens of sites and all of them have shoved more money into my Neteller account than I ever shoved them in the first place. Countless others can say the same.

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-24-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
since june

[/ QUOTE ]

dear friend, you have a lot to learn; i say this as advice, not sarcasm. hang out on these boards and read some good books. include zen and the art of poker but dont take the luck streak sections seriously.

hey microbob, another specimen, larry phillips.
Old 11-24-2005, 12:09 PM

One thing that used to bother me was losing after flopping a straight. Example, I have KJ and flop is AQ10 with a flush draw. After losing this type of hand, it usually made me suspicious.

But I realize now, it's not so crazy. On the turn/river, I don't want to see 9 cards to pair the board, 6 cards to make my straight obvious and scare people away from the pot, 6 other cards if there was a flush draw. So basically 21 out of 47 cards won't make me happy.

If I have 78 and the board is 910J, obviously that's a lot worse. Many people don't understand how vulnerable a flopped straight is.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:29 PM

It's strange. I have a friend who is very smart, does great academically and all the rest of it. He is also a very good poker player. I once saw him vigorously berate a player who complained that poker is rigged.

However, recently he messaged me with a hot tip: In Stud/8 games on Stars, the 2 seat on Stars is the "good" seat. Swear to god. Every time he sits there (he claims) he doubles his buyin in an hour, and he won't sit at a table unless he can sit there. This is ONLY for stud/8 cash games, ONLY on stars.

It seems that superstition is a very common trait amongst poker players, even very skilled, very intelligent ones. It seems to have no harmful affect on your poker game at all. Maybe it's even benificial as it helps keep up self-confidence and you avoid second-guessing yourself.

I don't know. It's very strange.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i do notice i always start good with a new game, ring, sng, etc. it's just strange, that's all. like i'm being lured in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. Joined a new poker site, turned it from 100 to 680, getting great cards ... and after that it went all down hill. Once again, not saying its the site, but its something I've noticed.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:56 PM

To the original post: what is clear when you hears these odd "keep certain players around" theories is that it shows they know little/nothing about software.

Seriously. How freaking hard would it be to set up an algorithm that:
1) Rewards certain players deemed "best for the site"
2) Is not detectable when large groups of hand histories are studied for statistical patterns.
3) Is not a full time job for a huge group of programmers who have easy blackmail-bait on a high-profile and/or publically traded company.
4) Is not a program loaded with bugs which would screw up a noticeable amount of times.

The beauty of a proper shuffling algorithm is that it is not a huge, complex program.