Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 11-21-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Raymer tell spotted by Annie duke

[ QUOTE ]
I hope fossilman posts.

Also, I think it's kind of pathetic that the best hand Annie Duke ever played involved folding tens to an all-in reraise. Congrats lady... congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey it could be worse. Gavin Griffin's 'best hand ever' was one where he basically just won the blinds
Old 11-21-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hope fossilman posts.

Also, I think it's kind of pathetic that the best hand Annie Duke ever played involved folding tens to an all-in reraise. Congrats lady... congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey it could be worse. Gavin Griffin's 'best hand ever' was one where he basically just won the blinds

[/ QUOTE ]

Well he sucks anyways so this isn't suprising.

I KEED I KEED
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 AM

I'd swear we've had this exact post before, and I know we've had this thread.

Raymer talked about this in a chat or something, and said that he didn't know what she was talking about, but that often people like Duke will say something like that just to get into people's heads.
Old 11-21-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it was the magical "Oh darn Raymer putting in the third raise puts my TT in really bad shape" tell.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this explanation.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
this seems really familiar.
i think the same thing was posted once and someone responded:
pros claim to have tells on their opponents to get under their skin.

[/ QUOTE ]
already beat you to it
Old 11-21-2005, 02:42 PM

I'm gonna have say a BIG part of this is BS. Ok, maybe Raymer has some big tell because Matusow claimed to have spotted it too at the WSOP. Though, Matusow seems to have known when Raymer was weak, which was the explanation of how he was able to bluff him off the hand where he questioned the size of Greg's balls, and Annie knows when he is strong? Does Greg have two tells then? Man, how did he win the WSOP? How is he a winning player being such a huge tellbox???

Oh but wait, then I remembered Annie Duke stated on this forum a little over a year ago that she had to think for 10 minutes about laying down the TT and how she apologized a number of times to the people at the table for taking so long but it was a VERY difficult decision. But hey, he's got a REALLY obvious tell when he's strong...

just my two cents... though maybe if we're lucky Greg will chirp in and let us ALL know what his tell is [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2005, 02:49 PM

He quickly puts his sunglasses back on (so nobody can read his eyes).
Old 11-21-2005, 03:00 PM

Sometimes "the best hand ever played" doesn't mean you had to make this incredible bluff or incredible call or you milked someone for all their worth holding the nuts.

In hindsight, this is the hand that gave Annie the win in the TOC. This could have easily been her go broke hand and we would not have seen her dominate Phil. I'm sure at the time she did not think of it in such a way, but in hindsight finding out how badly she was beat she realizes that this was the hand that made it for her - not being up against Phil constantly with a dominating hand like KJ to K9 etc...it was the Tens. A hand that players love to play but a hand that gets a lot of people in trouble.

We all watch TV and see how easy a laydown it was...but its also quite possible that Raymer could have been making that move with just AKs or 88, 99.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sometimes "the best hand ever played" doesn't mean you had to make this incredible bluff or incredible call or you milked someone for all their worth holding the nuts.

In hindsight, this is the hand that gave Annie the win in the TOC. This could have easily been her go broke hand and we would not have seen her dominate Phil. I'm sure at the time she did not think of it in such a way, but in hindsight finding out how badly she was beat she realizes that this was the hand that made it for her - not being up against Phil constantly with a dominating hand like KJ to K9 etc...it was the Tens. A hand that players love to play but a hand that gets a lot of people in trouble.

We all watch TV and see how easy a laydown it was...but its also quite possible that Raymer could have been making that move with just AKs or 88, 99.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. In Annie's case, it's a fine hand to feature. Annie was pretty short stacked when this happened but still had the discipline to lay down the tens after committing a good amount of chips. When you consider it was a winner-take-all event, it makes the fold even more difficult. I think you absolutely have to have a pretty strong read to fold.

It is the pivotal hand in what was by far the biggest win of her life (or most peoples' lives for that matter, $2 million). I think that qualifies.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The reason she said it was the best hand she ever played was because the laydown was only correct if she could positively eliminate AK from Raymer's possible holdings - if Raymer could possibly have AK in that spot, she would have been getting the right price and would have to call. It's not as if she agonized forever over a deep stack all-in raise from UTG.

She mentioned this in the "best hand I ever played" book, but I don't know if they showed that explanation on TV or not. If you want to see "pathetic", check out some of the other hands in that book. A good percentage of them are "I put all my money in as a huge dog down to one out, and then it came on the river and I won the pot! Best. Hand. EVAR.". IIRC Scott Fischman's was one where he admittedly made the wrong decision but Scotty Nguyen would have busted him out of the tournament with a miracle flop, therefore it was the best hand he ever played, etc.