Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-18-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Law School

[ QUOTE ]
I went to law school. I got laid a bunch and made a ton of money playing poker.

And at the end of the day I have a nice law degree in my poker room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto. Except the part about getting laid a bunch - I got married. I have a nice MBA on the wall also.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:01 AM

I would recommend not going. From what I have heard, the real pain in the ass is alot of really boring reading. I have never understood the fascination of wanting to be an attorney. No offense intended to anyone, but there is definitely no shortage of lawyers in the US, more like a surplus.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense intended to anyone, but there is definitely no shortage of lawyers in the US, more like a surplus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a clever commentary on the litigious nature of our society? Because it is hardly difficult for good law school graduates to get jobs.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
No offense intended to anyone, but there is definitely no shortage of lawyers in the US, more like a surplus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this a clever commentary on the litigious nature of our society? Because it is hardly difficult for good law school graduates to get jobs.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are jobs available to good law school graduates. I just don't think that it is a good idea for someone to intend on becoming an attorney unless they have a true interest in law. And yes, our society is way too litigious. But on the other hand, the legal knowledge would come in handy in a great many fields.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So, I'm wondering, to those in Law School or those who went to one, does it suck? Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want? Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a 3L, I'll take your questions one at a time: [ QUOTE ]
does it suck?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first, yeah it pretty much totally sucks. Your first semester you're not going to know what you're doing. Reading cases and briefing them are goinig to take you forever. You're not going to have much tim eto socialize (although I managed to always take 1 day off a week). However, you'll learn how to read cases faster relatively soon, the fear of being called on will wear off, you'll figure out how not to brief cases, you'll finish your first semester, and it will get better. [ QUOTE ]
Is it pretty much all work with very little time to do whatever the hell you want?

[/ QUOTE ]

It pretty much really gets better as you're there. The old adage "Your first year they scare you to death, your second year they work you to death, your third year they bore you to death" is pretty close to the mark. In my third year now, I only actually go to class 2 days a week. The remaining 3 days a week I'm in a clinical at a prosecutor's office where I'm actually trying cases and sending criminals to jail. Its pretty damn fun. [ QUOTE ]
Are the majority of students Type A personality shmucks?

[/ QUOTE ] Nah, the majority of Law Students are alcoholics.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is 100% spot on. I'm a 3L as well and have the same experience so I echo jman's response.

I do know a lot of people who really don't want to be in law school and really do not enjoy it at all. So I do recommend taking a good look at law school and some other options before you decide to make the plunge.

I also HIGHLY recommend taking at least a year off. I don't know about you, but my senior year of college was a joke and I was nowhere near the mindset I needed to be in for getting back into serious studying. Taking a year off and having a job I had to go to everyday and work was the best thing I could have done. Definitely puts you in a much better frame of mind for law school. Also, it gives you some time to explore and see if you really want to go to law school instead of just impulsively going on to more school b/c you don't know what else to do.

GL
Old 11-18-2005, 02:50 AM

There was a thread on this awhile ago, but I couldn't find it.

I just graduated from a Top 20 law school. I spent $120,000 and three years of my life and I can COMPLETELY guarantee you that it was not worth it.

I think law school (especially the good ones) is a good choice for exactly one kind of person: a snobby [censored] whose idea of a cool job is to lick some partner's ass in a big law firm while making serious bank.

I am honestly considering writing a book on this exact topic in the next few months.

Also, before people accuse me of being crushed by the system or something similar, I was on moot court, ublished an article and proscribed a legal theory in a state court that became international legal news. I could have done ALL of it with about half the time in school and about 1/10th the cost.
Old 11-18-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was on moot court, ublished an article and proscribed a legal theory in a state court that became international legal news.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're a snob
Old 11-18-2005, 03:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was on moot court, ublished an article and proscribed a legal theory in a state court that became international legal news.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you're a snob

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, or perhaps a brilliant luminary whose shining and extraordinary brilliance can't be confined by the American educational system.

What do you recommend for us commoners who are interested in law?
Old 11-18-2005, 11:14 AM

I love it when I see people with 3300+ posts that take the time to post [censored] like this. Pathetic.

Do us all a favor. Add some content that people may want to see instead of just wasting space. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:23 AM

I can tell you right if you live in Texas it is a terrible time to go to Law School if you want to practice in Texas. All the tort reform is putting established attorneys out of work much less the 100,000 or more 3Ls graduating from Texas Law schools this next year. Not to mention that probably 90% of them think they will go in "Corporate Law" but 80% of them will end up working in Toxic Tort or sueing Nursing Homes. Not very exciting.

I planned on going but decided not to go after I worked in a Defense firm for 3 years of my undergrad. Young lawyers are assholes and Old lawyers are primadonna assholes.

It is a negative life in my opinion.