Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 04:25 AM

Default Re: Your favorite Rivalry to watch (past and current)?

[ QUOTE ]

The PSU/MSU "rivalry" isn't really much of a "rivalry." Most PSU fans would much rather beat OSU or UM instead of MSU. We HATE Ohio State. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious if you hate Pitt and/or West Virginia. I'm a grad student at Pitt and fans will chant "Penn State sucks!" at seemingly random times, for example on the bus going to early non-conference games. I find it puzzling since they don't play each other anymore. Just curious if people have held on to the same feeling on the other side.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:41 AM

In college football I've got to go with Oregon - Washington. I'm suffering from selective memory bias forgetting all the years Oregon got thoroughly whooped in the series but the 11 years since the Kenny Wheaton pick have been fun. I hate Washington, but this game has lost steam of late due to them sucking. I'm happy to see them go 2 - 9 or whatever but that takes a bit of the thrill away from beating them.

Oregon - Oregon State has also gotten better recently. We were on the winning side of dominating that but the last several in a row have gone to the home team. Should be good this year, can't wait.

Otherwise in college football I like Michigan - Ohio State as well as Miami - Florida State.

Pro football I always liked the Cowboys - 49ers matchups in the late 80s - early nineties. Would have liked a few more wins for the niners but they were good games.

In basketball I enjoyed Portland - Utah in the playoffs. Also very good series but ultimately dissapointing were all the Portland - LA series both in the late 80s - early 90s as well as the late 90s early 2000s.

In soccer I like Liverpool - Manchester United in England. For national teams England - Argentina always manages to be a good game. USA - Mexico is getting to be pretty good but there normally is little on the line as both tend to qualify. My two favorite rivalries in sports are Sevilla - Betis (see avatar) and Barcelona - Real Madrid. Real Madrid - Barcelona is like a more extreme version of the Yankees - Red Sox. Both teams with ridiculously overpaid players, Barça has a huge inferiority complex, and both are basically always at the top of the league. Sevilla - Betis is an unbelievably strong rivalry of two teams from the same city. Sevilla have had Betis' number of late, but last year was bad.

Can't wait for Saturday. Sevilla - Betis starts at 3 so it'll have to be recorded since the civil war starts at the same time. After hopefully watching Oregon kill OSU I'll be heading back to my parents to hopefully watch Sevilla kill Betis on tivo.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The PSU/MSU "rivalry" isn't really much of a "rivalry." Most PSU fans would much rather beat OSU or UM instead of MSU. We HATE Ohio State. Go figure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Curious if you hate Pitt and/or West Virginia. I'm a grad student at Pitt and fans will chant "Penn State sucks!" at seemingly random times, for example on the bus going to early non-conference games. I find it puzzling since they don't play each other anymore. Just curious if people have held on to the same feeling on the other side.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like WVU personally because they're all a bunch of rednecks. I was going to mention that most PSUers don't like Pittsburgh either, but you're right, we don't play each other in anything anymore (besides basketball, but that's laughable), so the "rivalry" is really lukewarm. I bet if we started it up in football again, we could brew some pretty intense hatred.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:48 PM

I am a bit suprised that Texas vs. Texas A&M hasn't received any mention. Granted, it has lost some of the appeal since the bonfire tragedy. As a longhorn fan, it was (strangely) fun to go to the bonfire in College Station.

NFL
Cowboys-Redpricks (especially when Crazy Ray punks Chief Bendover-and-grab-ankles)

Oakland vs. the AFC West (no rooting interest, just always seems to be bad blood)

MLB
Yankees vs. Redsox - I agree that this is overblown by the east coast media, but it is fun to watch.

NBA
Pacers vs. Knicks was good. It isn't anymore.

Bulls vs. Pistons/Knicks was good. It isn't anymore.

Pacers vs. Detroit would probably have to be the best current rivalry.

College FB
Texas vs. Texas A&M

Texas vs. Oklahoma - only thing keeping Texas from falling
into the Gulf of Mexico is that Oklahoma sucks

Michigan vs. OSU - fun to listen fans talk smack

Florida vs. Florida State/Georgia/Tennessee - Not nearly as good without the Ole Ball Coach.

FSU vs. Miami - not as good as in the past, but still decent
Alabama vs. Auburn - nice traditional slugfest

Pitt vs. West Virginia - some of the best smack ever. Especially from the PA announcer years back.

College BB
UNC vs. Duke - potential for a classic everytime

Cincy vs. Xavier - lost some luster since Bob Huggins is gone, but a nice matchup

Indiana vs. Purdue - again, not the same with The General, but still good (GO IU!)

Indiana vs. Kentucky - would be alot better if Mike Davis could pick up a win, at least once.

Misc
Rosie O'Donnell vs. Bellagio buffet - this is really a mismatch