Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 AM

Default (.5/1) 6 max Scary Boat

Sorry for this hasty post. I've posted it three times with my thoughts but keep losing it. I'm getting frustrated but want some input.

Party Poker 0.50/1.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(6 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is SB with 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, Hero calls, BB calls, MP calls.

Flop: (8.00 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB folds, MP calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls, MP calls.

Turn: (10.50 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO caps</font>, Hero calls.

River: (18.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 22.50 BB.

Quick run down. Raiser slow played AA and KK twice. Doesn't seem to raise his big hands preflop. Called AQ in early position but didn't raise. The MP caller is a donkey. The best player at the table (better than me, since this is my first short handed limit game) has already folded.

Do I not raise as much? Should I have check/called? I really put him on AK. I was almost positive. At the end though I thought he could have TT. AT is not a possibility to me. Thoughts on my betting is appreciated. Should I have slowed down on the river, before? Like I said, read was almost positive about AK, but TT scared me. Could I have put less into the pot and felt comfortable? Could I possibly fold the turn?

JMB

PS sorry for the lengthy thought process,
Old 11-07-2005, 01:49 AM

Default Re: (.5/1) 6 max Scary Boat

i think i either fold or three bet preflop. i also think i'd probably 3-bet the river
Old 11-07-2005, 01:50 AM

Try not to put people on specific hands (like saying you're sure he has AK). I think you played it fine. If you never fold this hand at you're limit, you'll be playing it well.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:54 AM

the notes you have are excellent. becoming a good/great player is extremely dependant on picking up and noticing postflop tendencies of other players. so good job on that.

i think its possible he had AT here. often you'll have a preflop read that says "i saw him limp AA or KK". tahts important because you need to put that in his range of limping hands, but if he raises preflop, that doesn't mean he can't have AA or KK. often you need to keep an open mind and not stick entirely to your preflop reads.

i think you played the hand perfectly. i think i might check call the river.

never try and make such a "super" laydown here. as you said yourself, AK is extremely likely here. in limit holdem the pot is often wayyy too big to make a laydwon with a hand as strong as yours (ie, you'd only have to be right around 4% of the time here to make your river call correct)

good post. good luck and sorry if i lectured too much

stealthcow-
Old 11-07-2005, 03:30 AM

3-bet prefop? Is this because there's so much set equity? I thought about folding as well but with other callers I had a good chance to make a big pot with a set. How often are you 3 betting this preflop?

I would never cap it, on the other hand, and I probably wouldn't play two bets cold, but with callers and being in the blind I guess felt I should call.

I agree definitely that I should have 3 bet the river, I'm not losing enough times to make flat calling correct.

I wish I had poker tracker. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks for the input,

JMB