Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 10:26 PM

Default Re: AC\'s Jarhead movie review

[ QUOTE ]
Who cares if it is accurate? It's a hollywood movie, it's entertainment. Only morons watch movies to find out what's really going on in the world.

[/ QUOTE ] Here is the thing about Mendes' movies. They are always about the people, and not current events. How anyone can watch this movie and think there was some sort of left bias is beyond me. This movie is about people, plain and simple.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:30 PM

I'm an ex marine with combat time too, (not gulf) and I have to say it's very realistic for what it was written for. One of the biggest things about being a marine is that you're a [censored] killer. I mean I spent 5 years basically being told my job was to kill as many people as possible before dying myself. But nowadays we end up just patrolling bombed out wastelands, or going through cities with 50% expected casualties with no "honor" to seek. I think the lamentation the author/movie tries to explain is that there are people that are more hardcore gladiator's than today's world, even inwar, allows, hence all the Vietnam comparisons.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think me having not read the book made me like the movie much more than if i had. all these people who have read the book are saying "yeah it was good but the book siad all this...". im going to get the book tomorrow. honestly, this is one of the best movies ive seen in a while. there are a couple awkward parts but theres so much really good and original stuff in it that it is up there.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly why I never read the book first if i know a movie is soon to follow or its already out.

totally ruins the experiance of the movie, bc you are just concentrating on whats lacking.

very cool movie btw.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The book is ALWAYS better, and if I wasn't so lazy I'd take the 5-10 hours to read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lazy, lol. Is there anything that takes less energy than reading? You don't even have to look for the remote.