Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help

Old 11-03-2005, 07:04 PM

Default Bridging two wireless networks? +repeating, if possible

Ok, so here's the setup.

1. Apartment with a Linksys WRT54G router and an internet connection
2. Another apartment with Line of Sight to the other apartment, no more than 80 feet away.

I need to get the apartment without an internet connection to participate on the wireless network and bridge over to ethernet. The line of sight is from the living room, and it woudlnt' be the best place for a computer.

I tried using another WRT54G and installing the alchemy firmware, but that didn't work at all (maybe cause it's a v4 router?) and it fried the router.

My next plan is to get a WAP54G, which is just an access point. This supports bridging, repeating, and regular AP mode.

So

Inet----modem----WRT54G-*-*-*-*-*WAP54G----Computers

Obviously, the -*-* is wireless, everything else is wired.

One requirement I have is to be able to route traffic from the internet, through the connection, to one of the computers inside on teh wired network. So I need to be able to do something like serve FTP from the computer on the wired network.

Additionally, I'd *like* to be able to repeat the signal from the WAP54G to provide full wireless coverage inside apt #2.

Anyone have any insight? I'm not sure if
a) Bridging mode will repeat the signal
b) repeating mode will bridge the networks

I'd appreciate anyone with experience (or understanding) to chime in.

Freakin
Old 11-03-2005, 07:28 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters
Default Re: Bridging two wireless networks? +repeating, if possible

the only router about which i've heard good things in repeater mode is the buffalo g that actually comes with a repeater in the box and supports up to 5 of them, and that's only from one experience. my firsthand experience with dlink, linksys, misc other consumer products when trying to extend wireless networks has not been good - especially once encryption comes into the picture.

at 80 feet i'd simply see if a mimo/srx router would be able to reach first.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:39 PM

The only requirement of this project is a wired connection that I can forward ports to. Repeating the wireless signal would be an added benefit, if it is doable.
Old 11-03-2005, 07:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

ah, missed the 'wired on the other side' requirement.

my inclination would be to simply broadcast wireless from apartment A, and have a wireless adapter on the ftp server (presumably this is 24/7) in apartment B. the ftp server can share the connection through a physical ethernet adapter. ap-to-ap and ap-to-wireless bridge (plugged into a standard switch on the other side) both sound like they're begging for reliability problems with encryption enabled, and you should be using wpa/tkip at a minimum.

in this situation, your only requirement is to have one system maintain a persistent connection to one access point - a lot simpler and easier to debug than multiple aps. the 'downside' is that it should be up 24/7, but that's sort of a given for a server and fairly standard for regularly used pcs. the internet connection sharing in xp has proven stable to me, so that aspect shouldn't be a concern if you're not running a server os. if none of the other systems need port forwarding it should work fine, and if you have a decent signal over there you don't need any additional hardware to try it out right now.
Old 11-03-2005, 08:16 PM

One nice thing about the Linksys you mention is that has detatchable antenna.

How about setting up a directional antenna to point to the other apartment, then get a Linksys WET54G Ethernet bridge. This acts effectively like a wired port for you to plug a device into. Plus, at teh smae time you'll be flooding the apartment with your directional antenna.

Does this miss any of your requirements?
Old 11-03-2005, 08:27 PM

a bridge is an option, but like i said it's been my experience that he's asking for it reliability-wise once encryption gets enabled. spotty with poor downtime detection, etc.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:12 PM

I initially thought that PC w/ wireless made the most sense, but the area of the apartment that actually receives the wifi is the living room, which is a bad place for the computer in this situation (right by apartment hallway, big windows, bad neighborhood).

So unless I can string a long cable for an antenna, that idea isn't really practical.

I guess for now I'll try out some manner of bridging access point, become incredibly frustrated, and let you all know my results.

Thanks for the feedback. Maybe i'll try to resurrect my thin client and get windows 98 lite running on it or something....

Freakin
Old 11-04-2005, 02:38 AM

a mimo/srx router could push the wireless range into the whole apartment
Old 11-07-2005, 03:13 PM

Well, that was easy.

Plugged in Linksys WAP54G, used the setup to configure SSID & Channel to the same as the existing WRT54G in the other apartment. Set router for repeating mode.

It both repeats the signal and bridges to ethernet. Took all of 10 minutes. Kinda weird that the WAP costs more than the router did though....
Old 11-07-2005, 03:20 PM

with WPA enabled?