Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-31-2005, 08:13 PM

Default Re: PP. $33 - Level 2 draw

Push. I don't think it's very close either.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:52 PM

My question is more of: Do I even want to eliminate opponents here or do I want them to call a raise so I can build a big pot. I min raised here because I wanted to build a huge pot to compensate me for the times I lose this. I realize I am behind here and may go broke on a draw but I want to win the maximum when i do hit. I was fully planning on playing this to the river so there was no way I was going to fold on the turn. I just wanted as many people to put in money as I can get. Good idea or no?
Old 10-31-2005, 09:54 PM

If you want to win the maximum when you hit, push now, because if the flush comes, your action will be much less, unless he has some ridiculous hand like two pair or a set, and then of course he has redraws on you.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My question is more of: Do I even want to eliminate opponents here or do I want them to call a raise so I can build a big pot. I min raised here because I wanted to build a huge pot to compensate me for the times I lose this. I realize I am behind here and may go broke on a draw but I want to win the maximum when i do hit. I was fully planning on playing this to the river so there was no way I was going to fold on the turn. I just wanted as many people to put in money as I can get. Good idea or no?

[/ QUOTE ]you still don't have a made hand, take the pot down now.

if you push and people come along for the ride you have excellent odds to double up. either raise big to build the pot and eliminate some people or push.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No -- you're still on a draw (albeit a strong one), this hand is most profitable if you maximize your fold equity. Don't be thinking, "I need to keep players in the pot with me," because at the moment you have diddly squat. Think...pushing does three things:
1) It gives you the greatest chance of taking down a nice pot right now.
2) It ensures that you will see both the turn and river correctly (which your hand needs).
3) It maximizes the amount of your win on the times you're called and your draw hits.

Push, not close, not a hand open for debate...the best play here is push.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There is an extremely large amount in the pot already and you should be worrying about winning that. You have a fair chance of taking it down with an allin raise, which would be a major coup. There's another benefit to raising though - you may increase your number of outs. If you can get a hand like A2 or A3 to fold you'll pick up the two aces as outs, which might not sound like a lot but it's another 8% chance or so of winning which is a fair bit of equity.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:33 AM

Is this a limp I should be making preflop?

I take it from everyone's straightfoward discussion of postflop play that the preflop limp is acceptable to those who responded, but it's ot one that I've been making.

John
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is this a limp I should be making preflop?

I take it from everyone's straightfoward discussion of postflop play that the preflop limp is acceptable to those who responded, but it's ot one that I've been making.

John

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on the size of your stack. If I have 600ish I let it go. I limp if I'm up to like T1000.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:50 PM

oh right, I should've included some potential stack sizes.

Thanks for the response. I think I may be trying too hard to make my game difficult to exploit and missing out on opportunities. I feel like limping is just putting that many more chips in the pot and screaming for one of the blinds to push, but that may not happen often enough to matter.

John
Old 11-03-2005, 04:18 PM

If the blinds were really pushing into limpers often enough to make your limp "exploitable", you could easily exploit the blinds by limping a strong hand. Your mistake costs 1 BB, theirs a huge piece of their stack. This is why raising big from the blinds into a limped field cannot be overdone.