Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2005, 07:20 AM

Default WR sacrifice when buying in shortish

So. i've decided that i'm goign to take a shot at the party 2k game, and since i haven't played close to those stakes in NL cash games i was probably going to buy in for 1k while i'm "taking my shot", then if i get more comfortable i'll start buyin in full.

i've never done this before, but Barry G's book suggests that its a good idea for taking shots, and his reasoning made sense to me.

has anyone taken a shot in these games with only 50BB buyins? or does anyone know how much it would hurt my WR, assuming that i am a winning player?

mostly i'm wonde than ring if the decrease in WR will be more significant than the decrease in variance. so like if i were to take a 7-8k shot, would i have a better or worse chance of getting going before i lose it by buying in for 50BB, or 100? i know of course this will depend on my skill and game selection, but just assume that i'm a decent, winning player, but not like world class or anything. and since its higher limits that i'm used to i'll be playing only 1 game, or maybe 2 if i find 2 really good ones. so game selection will probably be my strongest aspect.

btw, i know this is the lamest question when i was in LHE, as every newb would ask it at least once in each room (micro, ss, and mid/high), so i'm going to appoligize in advance. but what can be expected to be a BB/100 in this game with good selection for

1)OK player
2)good player and
3)great player.

right now i'm probably closer to 1 than 2 for fullring, but i think smaller stacks will suit me b/c i do have a pretty good record in MTTs, and so i'll probably play each buyin like a freezeout. also, if i do this, is there any money mgt. that makes sense. like triple then leave while i'm still gettin used to the limit? or will that just be stupid to leave while i'm doing well and probaly have an extremely +EV situation.

also, last thing. i know that limit takes years to have any type of confidence interval with your WR?

sorry for all the ?'s, and i'd really appreciate it if any knowledgable people could answer even just 1 of them. of course all would be nice, but i can't be greedy [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 10-19-2005, 10:36 AM

Default Re: WR sacrifice when buying in shortish

In order for this to work you need a game where you can really leverage your stack preflop. The party 2k game is not this game....
Old 10-19-2005, 10:45 AM

so taking a shot with fewer, full 2k buyins would probably be a better idea?
Old 10-19-2005, 10:56 AM

Yes. What do you normally play? Are you jumping from 2/4 to 10/20 or from 5/10? If it's from 5/10 it shouldn't be any sweat to drop a few at 10/20, if it's from 2/4, take a shot at 5/10 first.
Old 10-19-2005, 12:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and since i haven't played close to those stakes in NL cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

Bad idea. Seriously. People talk about how soft the Party 10-20 is all the time, but the reality is that it is a fairly tough game.

From the general tone of your post, I think you will end up disappointed (and probably broke) if you jump into the game right away.

Start off lower. Learn some of the fundamentals, and then take your shot.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In order for this to work you need a game where you can really leverage your stack preflop. The party 2k game is not this game....

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not?