Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-10-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: WTF happened to personal responsibility?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'll never understand why you have to be 21 to drink in the U.S.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

what after 21 you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid. Argue for or against there being a line, not the specific line of 21. If you think there should be a drinking age then the obvious reply to any age that you set is "what after [age xxx] you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol[?]" If you don't think there should be a drinking age then give arguments against one, not an irrational one against age 21.

Why is the speed limit 55? It's not like at 56 we all of sudden all become unsafe drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is a good point, but it can be argued that the age should be lowered to 16 or 18 in order to be consistent with other developed country's drinking laws.

In my opinion there should be no legal age requirment for beer and wine, and we would see a reduction of binge drinking problems within a generation. Unfortunalty the protestant/puritan mentality that formed this country still exsists in much of the population.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:54 PM

meh, one less pink polo and popped collar to worry about [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
meh, one less pink polo and popped collar to worry about [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-10-2005, 03:47 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
Now we have 7 frat boys up on multiple charges. One charge is a felony. They involve providing/selling alcohol to a minor.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the other charges?

May be more to this story than we are reading.

b
Old 10-10-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
they're going to kill that poor woman!

[/ QUOTE ]
SHE KIDNAPPED HERSELF
Old 10-10-2005, 04:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

That is a good point, but it can be argued that the age should be lowered to 16 or 18 in order to be consistent with other developed country's drinking laws.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why should this be a factor?
Old 10-10-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Now we have 7 frat boys up on multiple charges. One charge is a felony. They involve providing/selling alcohol to a minor.

[/ QUOTE ]

What are the other charges?

May be more to this story than we are reading.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

The charges are:

selling liquor to a minor resulting in death (Felony)
selling alcohol without a license
providing alcohol to a person younger than 21

Edit: removed link, requires registration
Old 10-10-2005, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

what after 21 you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol

[/ QUOTE ]

This is stupid. Argue for or against there being a line, not the specific line of 21. If you think there should be a drinking age then the obvious reply to any age that you set is "what after [age xxx] you magically become a resonable human being who can handle drinking alcohol[?]" If you don't think there should be a drinking age then give arguments against one, not an irrational one against age 21.

Why is the speed limit 55? It's not like at 56 we all of sudden all become unsafe drivers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know your reply wasn't aimed at me, but just to clarify - my issue is with it being 21. It's 18 just about everywhere else in the world. With it being 21, you absolutely KNOW there are gonna be a lot of 18-20y olds breaking the law because they feel justified in doing so. Seems silly. I'm not saying people wouldn't break the law if it was set at 18, but I think you get what I mean.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I know your reply wasn't aimed at me, but just to clarify - my issue is with it being 21. It's 18 just about everywhere else in the world. With it being 21, you absolutely KNOW there are gonna be a lot of 18-20y olds breaking the law because they feel justified in doing so. Seems silly. I'm not saying people wouldn't break the law if it was set at 18, but I think you get what I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]

this often fall into the if you set it at 18 then 16 year olds will drink. well why not set it at 0 and just start actually punishing people who drive drunk or harm people while drunk.

i don't drink. but i obviously believe in responsibility. i don't care if everyone else gets trashed, it doesn't bother me as long as they don't hurt me.
Old 10-10-2005, 04:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you understand. I'm not arguing for the age of 21; I'm arguing against the argument the person that I replied to gave. There are obvious problems with your argument too.