Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2005, 06:30 PM

Default I think i might suck

Okay, so started out playing poker and thought i was pretty darn good. I found this forum, started playing SNG:s and thought i did pretty well. Had a 20% Roi over my first 1000 tournaments. All was well. I then had a 7% Roi over my next 1000 tournaments. Felt pretty bad about it. Figured I might be somewhere inbetween the both results. Guess it turns out im not.

I have now played like 1500 more SNG:s with a blasting ROI of 3%. I really do feel like i am playing ALOT better than my results indicate. I also feel that i am the unluckiest guy in the world. But hey, i guess thats how everyone explains their losses. Wierd thing is, i read this forum, and i agree 90% of the times with what the respected posters think. And whenever i post a hand 90% of the time people tell me i did the right thing. But i just can't make any money.

So, where am i going with this post. Well, im totally completely lost. I have no idea how good i am and i would really like for someone to look over how i play and tell me if i'm really as bad as my results indicate. I already payed someone to do this, but he seems to be busy elsewhere right now [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]. So i would really appreciate it if someone who is pretty darn sure what they're doing could look over a hand history or two of mine.

Sabz out [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 06:32 PM

Default Re: I think i might suck

fwiw your 3% ROI over the last 1500 is still positive...which means you're not only learning for free, you're getting paid to learn. May not be as much as you want, but it's a pretty sweet deal.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:34 PM

When did you start playing more tables, or start posting on the forums while playing, or start watching TV while playing? I'm just saying maybe you have started playing worse against actual opponents than before, even if your default play is much better (which explains your agreement in the forums).
Old 10-05-2005, 06:38 PM

I am playing 8 tables now. But i really don't think that has an effect since when i played 4 tables i would surf on the internet or watch TV while playing. I have made 1 small misclick over the 2500 8tabling STT:s i have played. I am thinking of cutting back to 4 tables, but then it would take forever for me to get data with any kind of statistical validity.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:47 PM

it happens, everybody on this board orgasms over 1000 sngs as the mark to tell you your exact roi but i think as someone posted last week, results over 1000 sngs differ soo much. 1000 is usually dropped in the context of "get over your 100 sng results until you have 1000 you dont have any idea" but its really easy to have a few 30 or so buyin drops in 1000 and all of a sudden your roi is screwed. I know what you're going through as I have been in a horrible run of cards for weeks now (hundreds of games). Its been the way Irieguy described when he was talking about you can see the JJ coming when you have AA vs AJ. My roi is still positive but not near where it has been or where it should be if i didnt keep losing to ridiculous hands. Concentrate on things that you can control. Im sure your game isnt perfect. Concentrate on why youre getting knocked out. its easy to think you are running into AA and AK on steals and getting drawn out on a lot and say i cant do anything else. But this isnt why you are losing everytime. Find small things and make changes. Dont get into a losing mentality. You're still winning and you will win at a higher rate in the future its a given. Neg. Variance is so disheartening sometimes especially when it just keeps going and going.

As an example look at danieal negreanu or somebody else real successful in the spotlight. dude couldnt lose last year. If he can have a good run that long, somebody can have a bad run that long. I know this examply doesn't add up exactly but it kinda fits with those posts Irie was posting for a while about how much randomness figures into our results and we refuse to recognize it. I think he was emphasizing positive randomness but it definitly goes the other way too.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:01 PM

You might suck or you might not.

Post your ITM% and top 4 finish % for each group you listed your ROI for.

oh, and you don't suck, you're doing better than 80% of the player pool.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:04 PM

if you swallow, i think i might be interested [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 10-05-2005, 07:05 PM

gotta love the ignore feature
Old 10-05-2005, 07:07 PM

was a joke dude...

but thanks for the reminder, i like to ignore those with no sense of humor
Old 10-05-2005, 07:08 PM

*** You are ignoring this user ***