Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-03-2005, 06:38 PM

Default Re: played perfectly, or chip spewing?

Then its hopeless. What better hands call the turn but fold a river bet? Any 2 out hands are calling the turn to call the river, and so is any 5 out hand. This river bet has no value at all, unless the villian is so bad he'll call all the way w/77.

This is very probably true in this particular case, but it's not impossible for certain types of players to call the turn raise with pairs less than the K to see if their opponent is raising a worse pair for a free showdown. They will "save" the river bet figuring their opponent will not bet a worse hand twice.
Old 10-03-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It wasn't a pause on a decision,I was trying to cook dinner. River bet is boo.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I called the flop to bet the turn if he checked, possibly raise if he bet and I thought he was weak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Avid's take on it with the line you took. Although the turn raise bluff is stronger, the continuation is also more expensive.

I think raising the flop is a better line because you raised pf and it'll be taken as strength rather than a free card line.

If he's strong, he'll probably go for the turn c/r instead of 3 betting, figuring you're not on a fl draw and will bet. If you get c/r'd on the turn, you're smoked and save bets.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:20 PM

Yeah, we all agree that river should be checked behind.

But here's (IMO) a more interesting question. What percentage of the time should hero follow this "call the flop, raise the turn" line vs "raise the flop, bet the turn" vs "fold the flop"? All of this still assuming that the SB is tight (not sure if he was aggressive or passive).