Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: I just lost 35 BBs in an hour and I feel fine

[ QUOTE ]

Or you can just play, and play, each hand as another day.

[/ QUOTE ]

So do you allow yourself to momentarily acknowledge your frustration before moving on; or do you just immediately try to move past it?
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So do you allow yourself to momentarily acknowledge your frustration before moving on; or do you just immediately try to move past it?

[/ QUOTE ]

If -35BB impacts you in any way, imagine what -350BB will do.

A successful long term player will simply and unemotionally resolve to analyze their play after their session to ensure that the downswing is variance and not a leak.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If -35BB impacts you in any way, imagine what -350BB will do.

A successful long term player will simply and unemotionally resolve to analyze their play after their session to ensure that the downswing is variance and not a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

I challenge anyone to claim that they are unemotional, when it comes to poker.

In my experience, the best thing that you can do is to acknowledge your present emotional state and take steps to minimise it's effect on your play.

I would go as far as to say that anyone who says they experience no emotion during a session is fooling themselves and striving for an unrealistic goal.

It would seem far better to learn to deal with the emotions that you experience in a way that is not detrimental to your game.
Old 09-28-2005, 07:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I challenge anyone to claim that they are unemotional, when it comes to poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to be a successful long term player, you will remove emotion from the equation. If you know you are playing a long term winning style, you should be executing your play like an emotionless bot, so you are always playing your A game.

I will end with a recent quote from Krishanleong...

[ QUOTE ]
So poker skills being equal, what determines who becomes and millionaire and who keeps playing 15/30? I don't know. QM? Sure. Maybe God DOES play dice with poker, I don't know. What I do know is that this (along with continuing to learn and appreciate Zen philosophies) has helped me come to realize that results, even on an extremely broad or lengthy scale, should be meaningless to me. And I don't mean meaningless in the sense of how I view the game now. I mean in the sense of how I feel I should STRIVE to view the game. We as a group have trained ourselves to not care about 200 bet swings, about 20k hand down periods. None of that comes naturally of course, but as we learned more and more about the nature of LHE we came to accept those things as just part of the package and we learned to deal with it. In the same way, I'm attempting to continually make myself immune to results, period. Not just short-term, but long-term as well. I want to approach this game theoretically and conceptually, without the hint of any wins or losses clouding my judgement. Ridding my conscious from any and all results, period; that is the goal. I'm not there yet by a long shot, but given what I think I know about this game and the philosophy and approach I feel is best for me, my goal is to be constantly progressing toward that state.

[/ QUOTE ]