Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2005, 05:46 PM

Default Re: How often should you muck A2 pre flop?

[ QUOTE ]
It seemed like the Wynn's 6/12 was looser than party 1/2...LOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this as well, the live limit high low games are so much looser than the online ones, its not even close and the limits are much higher. Anyone got an explanation for this?
Old 09-21-2005, 05:48 PM

Yeah, the really good Omaha/8 games are almost exclusively live, especially if you want to play middle limits. I suspect that the comments about 80% seeing a flop refer to microlimit games, which play much differently.
Old 09-21-2005, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed this as well, the live limit high low games are so much looser than the online ones, its not even close and the limits are much higher. Anyone got an explanation for this?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, live play attracts gamblers who want to look like Maverick more than computer poker.

The same phenomenon exists for every game I've ever played (live $5/10 holdem is MUCH looser than online, etc.).
Old 09-21-2005, 06:14 PM

Live is very good, even at the middle limits. At a local cardroom in Laughlin, the flop is usually seen by 100% of my opponents (I am the lone hold-out).

At Rio during the series, I would estimate that only one person ever folded before the flop. I played 10/20 and 20/40 with a half kill.

As far as online, yes, the microlimits seem to have the highest percentage seeing the flop. UB and Paradise always have high numbers.

I think part of the phenomenon of more players seeing the flop is due to speed. Live play is so slow, that no one wants to fold a hand. The same can be said of Paradise, where the average hands per hour is only about 20-30, whereas fast software like UB cranks out about 60 HPH.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-21-2005, 07:52 PM

Last night I had a naked A2. My hand was something like: A28Tr and it was capped before getting to me. I was 100% convinced I was up against at least another A2 and several players with good high draws.

Turned out being an excellent fold, as the turn brought a 2 and some clown with A3 took the low, another player showed down an A2 hand, and someone else made a flush for high.
Old 09-21-2005, 09:36 PM

I can't think of any scenario that I would lay down A 2 in a limit game.

Dave
Old 09-21-2005, 10:42 PM

A lot of the bigger games have table VP$IP of about 35% and the very tightest players with VP$IP of 20% or less. If a very tight player limps early and is raised by another tight player late (with others folding) you should fold playing behind the raiser with a naked A2 (ex: A-2-9-9 not suited to the ace).This isn't the way to make money.

Too often you will end up against at least one opponent with a better A2 and another opponent willing to press a quality hand of some sort in addition to a blind. This means you are usually playing for 1/4 of the pot or less.

Some will say position makes up a lot of ground, but I don't think it makes up anyway near as much as some people think, especially in limit Omaha/8.

~ Rick
Old 09-22-2005, 07:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Old people don't know how to use computers.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:29 PM

KC - The only time I'd seriously consider mucking A2XY in a live limit-Omaha-8 game would be in certain tournament situations with a poor A2XY. (A poor A2XY would be a rainbow with two middle cards). For example, on the bubble or at the final table, and having at least several players due to post before me with the strong possibility of other individuals being knocked out before it was my turn to post, and after one solid, predictable player had already raised the blind, and holding A278-rainbow, I'd probably fold and hope one of my opponents got eliminated by the other.

But I don't think I'd ever fold A2XY, even a poor one, in a limit ring game.

Buzz
Old 09-23-2005, 03:38 AM

Been playing all 5/10 limit on Party & I will never muck an A2 at this limit.