Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-21-2005, 12:52 AM

Default Re: The ol\' river value bet type thread

Well, here were my thoughts while playing the hand.

1) If he's raising me with a J or a weak Q and I 3 bet him on the flop, he'll probably call and fold the turn UI winning me a small pot.

2) If I call the flop, and a non-club lands, I'll donkbet the turn so as to not allow him to check behind and take a free card.

3) If I call the flop, and a club lands, I'll check-raise him to squeak out as much value from him as I can when I'm ahead and hopefully pull out a club draw myself if I'm behind.

Perhaps all of this thinking is retarded. Feel free to ignore me (although I have managed to gather that a check/call seems to be in order on the river).
Old 09-21-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, here were my thoughts while playing the hand.

1) If he's raising me with a J or a weak Q and I 3 bet him on the flop, he'll probably call and fold the turn UI winning me a small pot.

2) If I call the flop, and a non-club lands, I'll donkbet the turn so as to not allow him to check behind and take a free card.

3) If I call the flop, and a club lands, I'll check-raise him to squeak out as much value from him as I can when I'm ahead and hopefully pull out a club draw myself if I'm behind.

Perhaps all of this thinking is retarded. Feel free to ignore me (although I have managed to gather that a check/call seems to be in order on the river).

[/ QUOTE ]

1. No one in the history of Party with a VP of 41 is folding a Q on the turn, ever.

2. This seems safer than a turn c/r, you won't get 3 bet, or get it checked through.

3. Seems like if he has a flush, he will bet, or if he has a better hand he will bet, but if you are winning, he might check behind.

All in all, I just go ahead and three bet the flop. Then bet the turn. If he calls, i bet the river.

As you played it, I'd bet the river. He's either got a small flush, and afraid that you c/r the turn with a bigger flush, or you have him Q dominated, or he's a donk with 88
Old 09-21-2005, 01:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. No one in the history of Party with a VP of 41 is folding a Q on the turn, ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha, this has to be the most straight foward reply I've ever read. It makes so much sense it hurts me. I'm retarded and I'm going back to $1/$2.

Not that it matters much, but he did have AJo.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:53 AM

It matters. I'm thankful, that you provided the solution.
Old 09-21-2005, 01:59 AM

Now that we know he had AJo, my play was pretty damn snazzy eh? Sigh, nevermind, I'm still retarded.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Now that we know he had AJo, my play was pretty damn snazzy eh? Sigh, nevermind, I'm still retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am certain if you bet and 3 bet the flop, and bet the turn, and bet the river, he would have called every street. Assuming he didn't make trips J on the river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

This player isn't folding AJ for the same reason he wouldn't fold Q4 here. Q-no kicker and AJ are basically one in the same on this board.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am certain if you bet and 3 bet the flop, and bet the turn, and bet the river, he would have called every street. Assuming he didn't make trips J on the river [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
I totally would have made an extra 1/2 BB off of him with my turn check-raise. Sadly, since I just moved up from weak/tight 1/2, I think I make this type of play a lot. I think in those games, when the pot is small, it's often better to try and squeak out a few more bets even if it means you give them a chance to draw out on you sometimes.
Old 09-21-2005, 05:35 AM

Just bet the river already. Your hand is good here almost every time against this player. 3 betting the flop is standard, but your line is a good alternate.