Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: loose turn call. uncharacteristic of my weak tight self

yeah I don't know if a 3 is easy raise but I think I have to do it to make up for my turn call. although thats not the best of logic.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 PM

You have 12 outs to the nuts (Well, I suppose the Q [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]/ 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] won't give you the pure nuts, but close enough anyway.) and 2 outs to a three that is probably good since villain didn't reraise preflop. Decent villain will almost surely reraise preflop with KK/QQ in this situation, and quite probably with TT. That leaves AJ and maybe TT to beat the trip 3's (and decent villains don't like calling raises with AJ). Allthough hitting trips and losing is bad, I think it is evened out by that implied odds shouldn't be too bad when he has two pair, since villain will be seriously confused as to what strong hand you could have on a river 3 after taking that passive line (A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] might cross his mind, but you wouldn't play that either this passive I presume), so he will almost have to pay you off with two pair.

You're calling $15 to play a $49 pot. This means pot odds are just about there if you count the 3's as outs and assume villain doesn't have an ace. Implied odds probably aren't great, but if you can get something out of villain when you hit the river (at least have him block it), it looks like a call.

edited to change som KJ's to AJ.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:59 PM

i'm in complete agreement. with most/all of these.
I do raise the 3. however, it may not be the smartest thing to do.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:12 PM

I don't think $50 is much worse than $75. Might be easier to get more than a half pot blocker out of him if he has $40-50 than if he has $75. Only way I see you in position to get the $75 stack is if you hit a 3.

You don't need much implied odds to make the call correct. I think you'll be breakeven with $20-30 on average on the river, even counting the times you do get stacked after hitting a 3 or splitting the pot when you hit a non [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]J or the unlikely event you lose to a straight flush.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:29 PM

Default Thanks for the lesson!

Villian has just dropped a buy-in pushing A high into an obviously weak (but more importantly better hand) who in calling station fashion called. Missed Amoeba was the Hero in hand (PT database lost to unfortunate accident) Final point, villian's game has holes. I have no reads and am eyeing the $300 stack and not the button.

That said, I see button raise as essentially any two cards. However, I have a good hand and hit about 3/4 pot on the flop. (I am missing the extra outs the Ax combo has...) I think I have charged the flush draw.

Anyway, I put villian on AK,KJ,Kx, or some crap setting up a resteal if I falter on the turn. I don't see AT here for some reason.

Rag to me on the turn...I hit it for 3/4. Called again - I refine my hand to AK and KT...surely a str8 raises me here?

Club river...surely he has no flush - I bet $15 expecting a fold and
And reraised... I call??? He has KT, KT right. Frankly I can't remember if I took time here or not but I clearly revisited a lesson I got at 10max...respect the flush. Never saw you hit the 3 on the turn.

Having dropped nearly 2 buyins in short order, I lash out with the ever popular "nice chase". When a coherent reply referencing the flush plus str8 draw...the name starts to look familiar. I quickly look at the hand history and see the results. Well played by Hero and paid off by me the villian.

Amoeba...sorry for the table talk after the hand. Wanted to confirm your identity.

Additional hole in game is table selection and playing OOP too strongly.