Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 08-27-2005, 07:40 PM

Default Car Accident

So about two weeks ago, I got into my first car accident.

It went down like this. I was pulling into a really tight and uncomfortable parking lot behind a convenience store, a car started pulling out right in front of me, and it was the kind of lot where he wouldn't have been able to get out if I hadn't moved. So I switch into reverse, and right as I start backing up, I collide with a car pulling out of a space behind me.

So I'm like "owned," and I point to my hat. I pull up a few feet and park, turn off The Smiths, and get out. I check to see whether the guy could take me in a fight (yes, not close). He seemed mildly irritated, but I mean I imagine that's normal for this kind of a situation. There's a small dent in his rear bumper, and in mine. The paint is a barely scratched on my car, I don't notice anything on his. I'm in an SUV and he's in like a Jeep or something, what looks like a nicer car.

I try to stay calm, and I tell him I'm going to get my information, so I hand him my license and registration and stuff (which I think from TV is what I'm supposed to do), and he asks for my address/phone number, and writes his information down on a little card and hands it to me. Then he shows me a badge and says (I'm paraphrasing), "I'm on duty right now, so I'd really rather we not get the cops involved. It's minor as hell, and nobody wants their insurance to go up, so let's just handle it between us." While I felt I handled it pretty well, he figured out pretty quickly that this was my first accident and I actually think tried to be comforting.

Here's the thing. I haven't actually been driving for a long time. I don't really feel comfortable yet. And, this guy, besides being much older, was a cop. And I can afford a few thousand dollars to pay for everybody's damages (thanks 2+2!). So I had just assumed that it was my fault and I was going to take responsibility and just get it over with.

It's been like two weeks now and he hasn't called me. Someone more worldy than I am, maybe who just knows more about situations like these: should I call him? Should I forget about it? I mean obviously I'm paying for my own car, but could he show up in like a month claiming I never paid him? We never filled out a police report or notified the insurance companies, as far as I know. I'm not really sure what to do.

And then this morning, my mom pointed out that he was moving too and never honked, so maybe he assumed that it wasn't totally my fault, and is paying for his own car. I really don't know.

Any flaming appreciated.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: Car Accident

Sounds to me like you lucked out ... atleast so far. I would suggest calling him and making sure its all clear between you two. It could be that he is waiting for you to make the call and could easily take you to small claims court if he wishes. I'd play it safe and stay on his good side. Call him up b/c you never know - he may be chill about it and pay for his car himself.
Old 08-27-2005, 07:59 PM

He has your number, if he expected you to pay for his car he would have called you by now. And no police report means you don't have to worry about small claims court, especially considering it was his idea to avoid the police report, which would look very awkward in court, him being a police officer and all. You're in the clear homey.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:04 PM

Call him. Pay him.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm like "owned," and I point to my hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean "point to your hat" like this? Because this is honestly the only thing I can think of when you say that

Old 08-27-2005, 08:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
Call him. Pay him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, it's the guy backing out's fault. You are in the road he is trying to gain access to. Unless of course, he had backed out already, and then you backed into him. If you were backing up, then he backed into you it's his fault, and that's why he didnt't want to get the police involved.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:32 PM

Just forget about it. It's probably too much of a hassle for him to fix anything, because it's so minor.

I'm pretty sure this happens all the time.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So I'm like "owned," and I point to my hat.

[/ QUOTE ]

did you mean "point to your hat" like this? Because this is honestly the only thing I can think of when you say that

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 08-27-2005, 08:54 PM

A few thousand dollars to pay for damages? You mean like $150, right? Give him a courtesy call, see what's up, and if you can get in touch with him, forget about it.
Old 08-27-2005, 09:04 PM

I doubt he was a cop. regardless, he didn't want the cops to come or for it to be turned in to the insurance companies because he was afraid it was his fault, or he didn't have insurance. fix you car and forget about it. if he comes after you, turn it over to your insurance company.