Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:09 AM

Default So Mad I could spit

Flame away, because I deserve it, just have to vent.

Those of you who don't flame me, got any suggestions for a graceful exit or was I committed? As far as I can tell, my biggest mistake was a toss-up b/w being in the pot in the first place vs not raising enough preflop.

Pokerstars $36 Satellite to Sunday $500k.
Pays 14 places; 23 left. I'm in 4th on the button with $8900. Villain is BB with $15,000.

Blinds $200/400 $25 ante.
Folds around to hero in button holding Ac6s.
Button raises to $800.
SB folds, Villain calls $400.

Flop 7c6h6d.
Villain bets $1600.
Hero calls $1600.

Turn is 5d.
Villain bets $3200.
Hero raises $6400.
Villain calls.

River 4c
Villain bets $1600
Hero is all in.

Hero has three of a kind sixes.
Villain turns over 7h8h for a straight 4 thru 8.

God I suck.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:15 AM

Default Re: So Mad I could spit

Raise more pf, then push on the flop if he leads out, or atleast push the turn
Old 08-17-2005, 12:19 AM

well it's both why are you in the pot and why the min-raise preflop - i don't know why the bb is playing the hand either but whatever

push this turn and get sucked out on
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 AM

Yeah, the end result would be the same if he calls with his top pair needing runner runner. My guess, if I don't have my head up my rear and push the flop, he folds. Then again, I'm still in if I just fold preflop. I think it was in HOH saying don't get mixed up with a big stack that late.
What is the proper amount of time to mourn my regretful play?
Old 08-17-2005, 01:10 AM

Does it pay 14 entries? If so, are you a low stack? Could you have survived your way into the big tourney? If any of the above are true, you shouldn't have been in the pot. If you think you should have been there, I think you should move in on the flop. You probably get called anyway FWIW.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:42 AM

Yeah I was going to say knowing the way things generally go in those things, the guy likely would have called an all in raise there anyway even on the flop, convinced you were bluffing Ax overcards. Age old story. Great thing about the hand is he'll never believe you have a 6. Horrible thing about the hand is he'll never believe you have a 6...
Old 08-17-2005, 02:44 AM

I spit hot fire!!!!
Old 08-17-2005, 02:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I spit hot fire!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

you too close man
Old 08-17-2005, 07:22 AM

As mentioned, I think you need to make it 3xBB _at least_ with that great holding on the button. Since there are antes involved and you're really looking to take it down PF (but could survive a flop), I would say make it 1200-1400 to go.

If the blind calls, and he's betting the flop, you need to decide if he has a 6 or the 7 or what draw he's got. I think pushing or raising 3-4x his bet is optimal. That may win you the pot right there. If he's calling, you got to decide whether he made a straight on the turn or not and roll all in. You've got outs and are not drawing dead at the very least.

Considering the line you did take, you have to just call the river.
Old 08-17-2005, 07:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pays 14 places; 23 left. I'm in 4th on the button

[/ QUOTE ]

It pays 14 places, and you are in 4th? Why bother making such risky moves?

In that position, The only cards I play are AA-QQ and AK. Unless, of course, a tiny stack goes all in... In that case, I call with AA-22, AK-AT, KQ-KJ, QJ, and any suited connecter above a 65.

I think you are missing an important concept in satellites... getting first doesn't matter. 1st through 14th are all the same prize. Nine more people need to bust out, and you basically get first. In this case, even if 15th through 23rd ALL double up, and every one of them moves ahead of you, you are still going to be in the top 14, and more likely, since they are doubling up against at least some of the people higher than you, you will still be in 12th or so. Add to the fact that doubling up still may not put them ahead of you... However, even that is unlikely, and you have to figure about half of them will bust out rather than double up.

There is no reason for the 4th biggest stack to bust out against someone with a huge stack. To be honest, there is no reason for somebody in your position to even play a pot against the top 3 stacks.

Classic case of FPS, if you ask me. (Oooh, let me steal the blinds when I don't need to! Then, let me play aggressively with middle pair on a coordinated board!)