Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 08-09-2005, 12:43 PM

Default I do love that turn checkbehind

party 100NL 6 max. fairly weak tight table. I've been cold decked and have not played a lot of hands. I think these guys actually are able to notice that I'm tight.

dealt to amoeba on the button
Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

UTG+1 villain calls $1, CO folds, amoeba raises to $5, fold, fold, UTG+1 villain calls $4.

flop ($10) : 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

villain checks, amoeba bets $8, villain calls $8.

turn ($26) : T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

villain checks, amoeba checks.

I've been pretty tight and cold decked so I thought preflop raise would generate some fold equity. normally I don't raise with Q9s on the button.

my reasoning for checking the turn. any reasonable hand with a 9 has me beat right now (79, 89, T9), J9 has pair + oesd and probably won't fold making river tough to play if he calls a turn bet and river comes a Q.

it is possible he is on spade draw and I do risk being outdrawn but given that I'm not sure I'm ahead on the turn anyways, I place pot control in front of charging for a draw.

Standard?

results in a few.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:46 PM

Default Re: I do love that turn checkbehind

Perfect. Few hands that you are ahead of will call on the turn and even fewer better hands will fold. You have an OK hand with a couple strong redraws (I think your Q is good for the straight as well as the backdoor flush) if you aren't good now and you don't want to get shut out from seeing the river.

Edit: A spade on the river would blow, but I still think the check is better than betting again.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:56 PM

In limit, this is a standard "check with outs" situation. I would have done the same thing here, too, for the same reason I would have in limit. That don't make it right, though.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:58 PM

yeah I agree a spade would suck.

I think the reason another reason I checked behind was that I can't really make anything bigger than a 1/2 pot bet on the turn here and most spade draws would call.

if a blank falls on the river, I pretty much have to fold to any bet with second pair.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:02 PM

More importantly, Hero is behind more hands in Villian's range than ahead of them and isn't looking to protect the pot or get check/raised off his draw.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if a blank falls on the river, I pretty much have to fold to any bet with second pair.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!
Old 08-09-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean if I had bet the turn and he called.

I know we should think in terms of bet in relation to pot but there is a subconcious willingness to bluff more at small pots than big pots due to perceived lower fold equity in the big pots.

and also because these guys are pretty weak tight and probably wouldn't bluff a missed draw very often anyways.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean if I had bet the turn and he called.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I retract my bellow.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Time for Results

yeah so I felt it was pretty standard.

river comes a beautiful J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

he bets $8, I raise to $40.

he calls with T9 and I gloat about my runner runner straight flush.

he can't say anything either because I bet on every street when I had the best hand and checked when I was behind.

villain promptly left.
Old 08-09-2005, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Time for Results

The villian played the hand horribly, way to extract from him. Can't believe he called 32 more dollars on that board with just two pair. What kind of hand does he thinks he beats when he calls that raise?

Anyway, pretty flawless play, and I need to use the check behind option WAY more often I think.

Brad