Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2003, 03:52 AM

Default Re: Stu Ungar movie?

hi big al,no one said anything about anyone looking for bill or anything else related to threats or violence.i said"he still has friends left" i was not insinuating anything. read my other posts ,im pretty strt forward.it is disrespectful to talk about deadpeople who in their personal life were as u say fkd up.he was and is still one of the most brilliant tourney players u must agree.as for gin rummy they still catching up to where he left off at.if u lend a drug addict money or back a sick person you take the risks.he did not pretenfd that he was sober.i know he beat people,people that were only interested in making $ of his talent and gave him $ knowing it was going in his arm or in the pipe. so big al..or do u prefer BIG AL.? we all have friends like stu....how would u like someone taslking about your chilhood pal or family member that has been the victim of drugs..a loser to society but loved by family.....food for thought fat al.i mean big al......i dont insinuate,,,i speak strt....if i were talking like u say...the verbage wouldve been "bill,watch your mouth or i"ll kick u in the balls when i se u at binions"...i was just saying have respect for the mans friends and family.......to bill murphy im sorry for causing u any headaches...ok? clear....dont think im condescending or going backwards for u al...im just clarifying who i am for uyou, p.s...if it was your family or pal u would not like to overhear people talking bad about them..or would u big al? do tell. MR> to u Manhattan

Old 03-12-2003, 04:01 AM

Default Re: Stu Ungar movie?- p.s. to al

true friends forgive...ripping off strangers might be one thing....if u cant rob your friends who can u rob? his true friends forgave him long ago...and why u stick up for bill? can it be your his friend? i tell u this big al....my friends can do no wrong and my enemies no right. enuf said....deal up
Old 03-12-2003, 01:09 PM

A persons life should be judged in its totality. Just because someone is good at one thing doesnt, when you look at their overall life, mean you automatically get on your knees and sing their praises. The guy was a mess. Also, I dont buy this idea that if you have a drug problem, its a disease, like cancer. Poor Stu, the drug bug/disease came along and infected him and he couldnt get cured. What a load of BS. Doing drugs is a matter of free choice. Nobody put a gun to his head and ordered him to do drugs. He choose, on his own free will, to become a druggie. To put people like that in the same category of someone who contracts a terminel illness is crazy. And to advocate or say its OK to rip off your friends is also crazy. Yes, I have had friends who were druggies. After many years of trying to help them and being burned time and again by them, I have no problem saying that my friend was and is a mess and is fu*ked up. Why? because its the truth, and yes, the truth hurts sometimes. You obviously are so enamored with Stu that you defend him to the very end, despite the facts. Also, if you want to engage in childish comments like calling me fat al (I thought you said you were a straight forward guy...doesnt seem like it to me when you make a juvenile remark like that) then go ahead. The reason I am called Big Al is because I am tall (played college hoops). Obviously you are a guy who doesnt bother to check things out before he makes a comment...yeah, you are a real straight, up front type of person. Stop being a legend in your own mind and start trying to practice what you preach.--BIG AL--
Old 03-12-2003, 01:10 PM

He's been dead for six years and people are still talking about him on boards like this. Sounds like a success to me.

Ryan_21

P.S. Oh yeah, forgot to mention the THREE world championships, but thats not really important.
Old 03-12-2003, 01:25 PM

"To put people like that in the same category of someone who contracts a terminel illness is crazy"

Its crazy to even make a statement like that. For most people w/ adddiction problems it is the SAME as someone who contracted a terminel illness. In a sense it is a terminal illness. Research has proven that addiction and substance abuse is hereditary. And if its hereditary you dont have a choice when you are born if you want this chemical imbalance or not.

"Doing drugs is a matter of free choice. Nobody put a gun to his head and ordered him to do drugs. He choose, on his own free will, to become a druggie"

This man started drugs early in life he was a 14 year old w/ hundreds of thousands of dollars and lived in the ghetto. Everyone knows children are easily influenced by their surroundings. To be that young and have that much money, he never stood a chance. And if you think drug dealers dont follow around addicts that they know have lots of money then you dont understand business.

Ryan_21
Old 03-12-2003, 01:29 PM

Sorry Ryan, I dont buy it. Temanil illness's and being a druggie are not in the same category, IMO. Also, people still talk about Hitler 50 years later, does that make him a success or a great guy?
Old 03-12-2003, 05:20 PM

Default Give Al a break

The reason he is still talked about is b/c he was a great card player, not b/c he was a great person. I think you guys should give Big Al a break, he's not denying the guy was great at cards, he just simply pointed out that the guy was F**ked up in the other parts of his life. Facts are facts. There are plenty of people who fit into the same category as Stu, many athletes like Darryl Strawberry, Doc Gooden, Pete Rose, Babe Ruth, Michael Irvin, Ken Caminiti, and a whole lot more people who were great in athetics, but the other parts of their lives were extremely F**ked up. Not to mention all those top level execs worth millions of $$$ who get drunk and beat the [censored] out of their wives and kids every night, but hey, they can really make a sale so we shouldn't talk bad about them. Take it from a guy like Reggie White, arguably one of the best defensive football players of all time, says, "if people remember me as a great football player, that's fine, but I would rather be remebered as a great person." So quit treating Stu Ungar like some poor little kid who was born w/ leukemia, and look at things for what they are, he was a great card player, but away from the tables he's probably not someone you'd want dating your daughter.

-D.J.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:39 PM

"To put people like that in the same category of someone who contracts a terminel illness is crazy"

Al your a college graduate and I can't believe you penned this.
Do you think people intentionally do this because they want to ruin themselves and everyone else aroud them. Drug addiction is a serious issue. However, the taking of the drug is not the illness it is just a symptom of the problem.

Obviously you are fortunate enough to have never suffered from a chemical addiction. Its also apparent that you have done nothing to educate yourself on the topic either. You don't think it's a terminal illness? Terminal illness is defined as one from which there is no recovery. There is no recovery from a chemical addiction. Once an addict always addict whether clean or not.

Free choice to take the first hit or whatever? I agree. After that the whole game changes. If it was just a matter of stopping it would be so darn easy. I mean eventually everyone has to sleep so in effect they have stopped right there. Problem solved from that simplistic view.

Am I defending Stu? No. Addicts cause terrific amounts of pain to those around them. They hurt most the ones who love them. Interested in seeing the movie though. See if the filmakers can make the audience experience the emotional highs and lows that a person like Stu surely must have gone through.

Don't mean to rag you Al but your view on drug addiction seems to be very narrow.
Old 03-12-2003, 06:21 PM

i agree with Al even though i think you have a point.

btw i am someone who really has never known happiness or anything like that and considered using drugs but just didnt want to so i think i have a semi informed opinion. (just semi)
Old 03-12-2003, 06:57 PM

One of the major problems in our society is no one wants to take responsibility for their actions. They want to blame someone or something else for their problems or mistakes. Very simply, you are responsible for the voluntary actions you take. You, like a lot of others in our society, dont want to hold people accountable for their behavior but want to blame it on some "disease" or "syndrome" and then not hold that individual accountable for their actions. This is one of the major reasons our society is so messed up. People are responsible for their actions and should be held accountable for the consequences of those actions. We live in a society that perpetuates the belief that "its not my fault, the drugs made me do it". I am sick and tired of this. When are we going to start holding people accountable for what they do and stop finding every and any excuse for what they do?