Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2003, 02:00 PM

Default A hand I need help with...

Hello. I've just started playing on the internet and found I'm having a lot of trouble. This hand occurred at pokerroom $1/$2. Please let me know what you think.

I don't have a good read on the players. I think mostly because on-line I find it much harder to pay attention to hands I'm not involved in. I'll work on that [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . But it is certainly true that the table is fairly loose.

I'm one to the right of the CO and hold J[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] . UTG posted blind and checked. UTG+1 calls, folded to CO2 on my right who calls. I raise, CO calls, blinds call, UTG poster folds, and everybody else calls.

Flop: Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img]

The SB checks, BB bets, UTG1 calls, CO2 folds, I raise, CO folds, SB folds, BB and UTG1 call.

Turn: [ Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] ] 7[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, UTG1 folds, I call.

River: [ Q [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 5[img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img] ] A[img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

BB bets, I call.

Results to come. All comments appreciated.

Morgan
Old 03-02-2003, 02:18 PM

Default Re: A hand I need help with...

I would fold on the flop. Doesn't look good for our hero.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:41 PM

The BB's bet on the flop into the preflop raiser tells you he has a queen. His bet on the turn screams it. The A on the river should have just made it easier for you to fold if you were still there.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:42 PM

You raised pre-flop, an overcard flopped and the BB bet into you. You raise, he calls and he bets into you again on the turn. Sounds to me like he flopped 2 pair or a set.
Old 03-02-2003, 02:50 PM

In a loose online game where most of your oppenents will call its best to just call with JJ if youre in late posistion. If you were in early posistion you should raise so people wont call two bets cold and you can limit the playing field. But even after the flop its a clear fold.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:49 PM

On the flop, with big pocket pairs, become skilled at learning on the flop if you are beat. Fold early. This can be here where you are bet into by the BB and you have a caller with an overcard and no strong draws. This is a nice flop for you since you can release easily. With overpairs, the flop action can also tell you that you are beat, but that type of information isn't cheap.

Consider the merits of calling with JJ preflop in a loose game (see HEPAP - loose games discussion). Then raise. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-02-2003, 03:51 PM

Fold on the flop because someone has a queen and you don't have the right odds to draw to two outs.

-- Homer
Old 03-02-2003, 11:10 PM

Hi ZMan. I would have figured raising pre-fop is ok just because I figure to have the best hand and will win more than my share post-flop. Is this flawed thinking?

Morgan
Old 03-02-2003, 11:16 PM

Hi Anatta.

"On the flop, with big pocket pairs, become skilled at learning on the flop if you are beat."

This is definately a skill I lack.

"Fold early."

Most definately a flaw of mine. In a B&M I seem to give up much more easily. But on-line it is just a click of a button to call or raise...

"Consider the merits of calling with JJ preflop in a loose game (see HEPAP - loose games discussion). Then raise."

LOL! I actually didn't know about this (calling as opposed to raising pre-flop). I should have finished reading HEFAP all the way through before playing on-line [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] .

Thanks,

Morgan
Old 03-02-2003, 11:19 PM

Thanks for the very straight-forward response Homer. But at the time I just didn't want to believe anyone had a queen. This was my reason for posting this hand, to see if everybody was convinced the BB (or anybody for that matter) had a queen. It seems everybody is. Oh well.

Morgan