Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Other Poker Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2003, 02:24 AM

Default Omaha Hi only hand

Hi, earlier tonight I found myself playing Omaho Hi only for the first time and I'm questioning how I played the following hand:

I have A [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] K [img]/forums/images/icons/spade.gif[/img] Q [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] 7 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] in the small blind. There are two callers, UTG+1 (Loose Aggresive, LA) and UTG+2 (Good Player, GP), I complete, and the big blind checks. This is a good starting hand, right? Should I have raised?

flop: J [img]/forums/images/icons/club.gif[/img] T [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/forums/images/icons/diamond.gif[/img]

I just flopped the nut straight and I decide to wait until the turn to bet. Checked to LA who bets, GP raises, I call and so does BB and LA. 4 of us still in.

turn: 3 [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

I've picked up a flush draw as well, and that couldn't have helped anyone else out. Now on the the flop the LA and the GP got into a little spat on whether the GP called "raise" before his chip hit the table. The floor finally ruled in favor of the GP. Since he seemed so intent on betting then I thought for sure he'd bet again here. I check and it is checked around.

I think this attempt on my part was really stupid, since even if I do manage to check-raise GP, that will only serve to knock out the other two players when I have the best of it. Please tell me what you think.

river: J [img]/forums/images/icons/heart.gif[/img]

My stomach turned when this card came out. I now have an Ace-high flush, but I may have let someone with Jack's-up draw out on me for free. I bet the river, and all call except for GP who folds. I breath a sigh of relief and take the pot when I show my flush (I never saw the other hands). Please comment on my play. Thanks,

Morgan
Old 02-09-2003, 05:31 AM

Default Re: Omaha Hi only hand

Caveat, I've got very little Omaha high experience at the table except for a few hours at the Harrahs New Orleans split game.

I think I play this stronger than you did on every street except preflop and the river. Reraise the flop, bet the turn, check/call the river given that there are so many players still in(what the heck did THEY have?). Since the GP was intent on betting in your opinion, I think I'd have bet out the turn hoping he reraised and then hit it again if he did.

Flopping nut straight always makes me a bit nervous so that, even with redraws like you had, I tend to play it fast to make the other people who are now drawing against me pay.

Just my $.03.
Old 02-09-2003, 01:40 PM

Pre-flop you have a decent hand to play cheaply in the sb. I would not raise it.
On the flop you hit perfect. The problem in Omaha hi is that there are so many hands that can catch up with you, that you should almost never get tricky. Bet the flop, and give the the others a chance to drop. The hands you dont want chasing are 2 pair, sets or gut shot flush draws. The turn could have easily been another suit that gives someone a whole new set of draws. As Bob Ciaffone says, when they fold in Omaha, just thank your lucky stars and stack the chips.
On the turn you picked up a redraw to the nut flush. Bet, and let the smaller flush draws chase. If they fold, stack the chips.
On the river you learned why you need to bet your hand. The chances of someone filling up are much higher than they are in hold em.
In other words, always bet your hand, and never give free cards unless you are a lock. That basicaly means you flopped quads. I've had aces full beaten by quads, nut flushs beaten by boats and straights beaten by small flushes countless times, not because they are bad beats, but because the possibility of this happening is just that likely in omaha hi.
Old 02-09-2003, 08:07 PM

Since the GP was intent on betting in your opinion, I think I'd have bet out the turn hoping he reraised and then hit it again if he did.

I completely agree. I realized this after the hand finished.

what the heck did THEY have?

Good question!

Thanks for the input [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . I'm getting the impression Omaha Hi is a game to be played fast. I played this hand probably the worst way possible.

Morgan
Old 02-09-2003, 08:13 PM

Thanks for your help Noo Yawk. People just have too many cards to get comfortable after hitting the flop. I think your quote of Bob Ciaffone, "when they fold in Omaha, just thank your lucky stars and stack the chips", sums it up really well. I'll keep it in mind next time I find myself playing Omaha. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Morgan
Old 02-10-2003, 09:21 AM

The GP probably had at least KQ also.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:24 PM

But he checked the turn. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 02-11-2003, 09:38 AM

If he only had KQ he might have thought he was tied for high with few or no redraws. Any heart or card that paired the board and he would no longer have the nuts. The raising on the flop may have been to try to thin the field since his hand is vulnerable.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:29 AM

I see. I was pretty much playing along the lines of how I would hold'em, but that's clearly not right. I would find find it hard myself to give someone a free card in that situation. Maybe I'll stick to hold'em and stud [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] . Thanks for the insight,

Morgan