Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2005, 01:34 AM

Default Re: How do you play big hands out of position?

if your opponents try to "outplay" you, i like an overbet on the flop followed by a check on the turn sometimes as a change of pace. alot of times people think you had got your hand stuck in the cookie jar trying to steal the flop and bet the turn for you.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:47 AM

I think the hand is fine. You could take a different line on the turn, but it depends on the players in the pot with you. I'd only really change the river. I think this is a 1/2 pot bet scenario(you want to price in TP here if it's there). Considering your hand, position, and the board it's a good idea to take the lead here. Someone caught a piece of this or is going to draw, so it's fine to take control and lead out.

Sometimes, depending on the players, and how I've been playing the table, I'll check on the turn if I've got a strong hand AND two or more players in the pot, to feign weakness and hope they bet so I can raise and get more money in the pot. A lot of players don't like this line because they don't want to risk giving the free card, but it's a solid move if you have aggresive players in the hand with you.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah, normally I do 15. not sure what made me do 20 this time.

I think if any street were to be checked, the flop would be it.

I don't like checking the turn here.

what do you guys think about overbetting the flop then betting 1/2 to 2/3 on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

In this particular situaiton flop check isn't good imo. Yes you have a strong hand, but what are going to do if someone bets a dollar from the rear? Raise them and give away your hand? Check/call and then what? Check the turn? This is a solid enough flop that someone caught something and will likely call your bet. You also run into the risk of giving a free card by checking this pot. I think just leading and trying to get money in is the best play here. You may even get raised. You just never know....
Old 06-26-2005, 02:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about it but this guy has minraised preflop straight for the last 5 hands but he becomes passive postflop.

I think its a possible line but a flop checkraise seems too suspicious?

maybe I'll try it next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

poo poo on the flop check/raise. Especially if he's passive postflop. Get the money in. I know this is going to be contrary to most book players view on strong hands OOP, but leading the flop and feigning weakness on the turn is a better line. OR just leading like you did is fine as well. It all really depends on the players involved.
Old 06-26-2005, 05:02 AM

i like leading the flop as well. i save my flop check/raises for more vulnerable hands like TP.

i think you played this hand just fine. against the right opponent, however, a river check/raise works wonders. you've built up a pretty decent size pot. many players will try to take a stab at it if checked to on the river. if the opponent is a loose calling station, betting the river is better.

cheers!
Old 06-26-2005, 08:27 AM

I think it's totally fine. I don't like the check-raise, induce a bluff, overbet the pot - fancy kind of moves. Unless you have a solid read that says they push when someone overbets or that they bluff every river they see or something like that. These things will scare them off too often to be profitable. JMO.