Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-07-2005, 02:38 PM

Default Re: When is it a set?

the lead is interesting to play against.

I think I used to minraise the lead with a TP or overpair type hand and of course fold to 3 bet but lately I find that an inferior line since most people with the set will call your minraise and weak lead the turn or try to check raise the turn.

I think these days I just smooth call the flop lead and check behind if he checks the turn. if he weak leads the turn again, I smoothcall again and plan on folding to 1/2 pot + bet at river if he leads river again.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:45 PM

it is awesome if you are hitting sets, 2 pair but alot of the times you aren't.

Also, I've grown to loathe AK as the deeper you are, the less successful the continuation bet becomes.

on 50xBB stacks, you will never see anybody check raise you or raise you with middle pair, top pair bad kicker, nothing... hoping to fold out missed overcards, at 100xBB + stacks you see it much more often and unfortunately when you hold overpair, you have no idea where their aggression is coming from. it especially sucks when you have overpair out of position as you can't control the hand at all and you're sort of forced to check call down when minraised on the flop.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:48 PM

Min-raise on the flop in position is often top pair, FWIW. It's supposed to fold overcards and slow down an overpair. I like to 3-bet it and fold to a re-re-raise. Very rarely does someone flat call a 3-bet with a better hand than an overpair at SSNL, in my experience.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:49 PM

you mean a worse hand right?
Old 06-07-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you mean a worse hand right?

[/ QUOTE ]
No. Read it again. I meant that if I'm beat after someone min-raises me on the flop and I 3-bet, they will push approximately 100% of the time. If they smooth call the 3-bet, then that confirms that they have top pair and I am going to the felt if possible. I am definitely leading the turn. I would go so far as to say that I have NEVER seen someone call a raise in position, min raise my continuation bet, call my 3-bet, and then raise the turn. Pretty much 100% of the time after I 3-bet and they call, they just call off the rest of their stack with TP.
Old 06-07-2005, 02:57 PM

hmm interesting. I should add this flop 3 bet in to my repetoire. I've rarely done this and by rarely I mean never.