Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Very bad run

[ QUOTE ]
you lose much more to sets. I mean if I play every set with a check call flop, check call turn, value bet river regardless of what shows up, I take like 70 BBs right there. and unfortunately there are guys who take this line with missed draws

[/ QUOTE ]

In my limited experience, a lot of players lack the patience to play their set like that. They'll either throw in a massive overbet on the flop or turn, or at least at the river. I rarely see value bets with a set. But when i do, it does hurt and you're right about that.

In reverse, missed draws usually lack the balls to bluff any decent amount on the river. If i see a line like you described with two to a flush on the board, it's usually an easy call on the river.

But like you said, it's hard to tell the difference sometimes, and if you end up on the wrong side of 60-40 often enough, it'll start to hurt. But that doesn't mean the 60 won't take it down in the long run.

Edit: the examples you describe are of course bad beats. But look at the bright side (i hope i get the quote right):
"Unlike many in this forum seem to think, the plural of anecdote is not data."
Old 06-06-2005, 03:01 PM

Who would call with a Q on that flop for 95 dollars just to win eight?
And why would anyone possibly risk going all-in with AK on that flop, just to win eight dollars?

Your reasoning might make sense if he'd bet the pot or a little over the pot, but not twelve times the pot.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:26 PM

see thats the thing.

If I were losing due to badbeats, I would feel better but I've gotten my money in with 2nd best hands, granted 2nd best hands where most of the time I'm up against 3rd best hands, but still I didn't get it in as favorite alot of the times.

I also think I place a lot of emphasis in where I raise preflop with marginal hands. like if I've been raising it up fairly often the last couple of hands even with legit holdings, I tend to not raise suited connectors as your folding equity on a continuation bet is low. I think thats other reason my vpip is not that high.

But I've been really thinking about the game alot.

Lately have you seen a new phenomenon where people check raise you 3x your continuation bet on the flop in a raised pot with nothing?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:33 PM

If I call with a Q, I'm winning more than 8 right?

your logic is somewhat contradictory. If I won't call with a Q then it makes perfect sense to push with AK, right? If I have a Q, a pot sized bet probably won't fold me out and you will have to take another stab on the turn.

Infact because my hand range is so wide, most of the time I won't have anything here and definitely won't call a push but I've been Lag enough postflop to call a pot bet on the flop and then lead the turn when checked to with nothing.

I don't know, I guess I gave the villain too much credit. I just couldn't see why he would push with top fullhouse as majority of the time he gets nothing while if he checks, he at least gets my flop autobet.

I was actually more worried about a hand like A3.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lately have you seen a new phenomenon where people check raise you 3x your continuation bet on the flop in a raised pot with nothing?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the party game, I have noticed alot of people doing this as well, but usually a min-raise instead of 3x. I definetly have found you have to check behind more often then at the smaller tables on flops. I make sure I do it ocassionally so that I am more likely to win pots in the future. I'm still betting most of the time though. Less often I'll even check behind with an overpair/TP as well to mix that in so my check's aren't always a miss/draw.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:44 PM

right, I've been checking behind on non danger flops with overpair occasionally too to mix things up.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:48 PM

Default 6max vpip

Just checking in on random posts, found this, and... Im 33/14 6max, and I'm not really that loose.

PT numbers matter less then you'd think.
Old 06-06-2005, 03:49 PM

Default Re: 6max vpip

I agree with you. Fim was 45/25 after all. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought I was the only one. Sometimes it seems like they can smell a continuation bet and raise you just enough so you couldn't possibly call them with your overcards. Of course, they will not do that when you hit your set and bet out. Or so it seems. But i'm pretty sure it's something i've been noticing a lot for the last month or so.

Whenever i see a flop, i tend to bet when it's checked to me, either to take it down or to get some information about the hands i'm up against. I thought they might be doing it because i bet almost every flop, but then someone else does the same at a table where i've been playing tight for 20 mins or so.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:40 PM

Default Re: 6max vpip

What does this mean?

[ QUOTE ]
Im 33/14 6max, and I'm not really that loose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that 33 VPIP and 14 Preflop Raise?