Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Tired of getting sucked out

Make sure you are properly bankrolled, then the swings won't matter as much.

I recommend 30 buyins, or $18,000 for the $600 gam and $30,000 for the $1,000 game.

Good Luck
Old 05-10-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I moved to the 1000 NL and it just coincided with my bad phase. Guys calling my allins with 2 outers/3 outers and sucking out. Its just been a crazy experience over the past two weeks.

If my read is right, guys at the higher stakes tables are more loose and will call allins with flush draws,inside str8 draws etc. How does one get out of such a bad phase

[/ QUOTE ]
Note the difference between bad luck and bad play.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:46 PM

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit I went on tilt on a couple of occasions. Its only natural when you are getting outdrawn like crazy. I have heard people say that a break usually helps in such a situation. I guess I am gonna take a break and kick some ass at the lower limit tables and get my mojo back. I dont think there is anything wrong with my play. I hope this phase ends soon. Boy!...this game can be brutal when things are going bad.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:51 AM

I consistantly get my money in with the worst of it, suck out, and win lots of money. try doing that.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:27 AM

If the fish didn't outdraw us every once in a while, they would quit poker. And then were would we be?
Old 05-11-2005, 03:53 AM

don't listen to a lot of the replies. there are a lot of
A-Holes here that can't play for crap, so they just try to bash people trying to improve their game. If you have only been playing 5 months, then I think you should take a few steps down. there are players that have playing for years that won't even play on a $1-$2 NL table. So you are really jumping in with both feet. I ran into similar problems when i tried to step up a few limits and then lost to numerous suck outs similar to what you described. I knew i was not losing money because of bad play on my part, or getting out-played by my opponents. i was just getting sucked out. then i read an article in card player mag that said, "Don't play limits you are not comfortable with." That was the key right there. I can take a bad beat for $100-$200, but when i lose $500-$1000 in a day, I can feel it in my stomach. when you feel the pain in your stomach you know the limits are a little too much and you need to step down. Don't be greedy. If you have only been playing for 5 months, you should be happy to make any money at all. Less than 10% of poker players actually make money at it. Remember that.
Old 05-11-2005, 09:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I dont think there is anything wrong with my play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Everyone has leaks in their game. Thinking this way is good for improving your game the slowest possible way.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:54 AM

Okay, giving you the benefit of the doubt, you're playing fine, you're making the right calls, blah blah blah.

-These are the people you want at your table. Being a 90-95% favorite means that you're going to lose roughly 5-10% of the time. The least you can do is pay them off when they make the hit, thereby encouraging them to DO IT AGAIN... Don't bitch about it. Ridiculing them is educating them. You're fing up the rotation.

And don't rule out the bad play theory also. No one's perfect.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
don't listen to a lot of the replies. there are a lot of A-Holes here that can't play for crap, so they just try to bash people trying to improve their game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whining about bad beats is not a concerted effort to improve your game. That is, unless you take the right advice that you need to learn to roll with the swings and understand it to be part of the game, which is exactly the advice that us a**holes are giving.

Suckouts happen. Bad opponents are long-term +EV, and occasionally frustrating in the short term. That's the best advice one can offer the OP.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:01 PM

try to recognise that when you have win a hand, you generally win more than you ought to when the odds are taken into consideration. If you have AA and double through an opponent with KK, you actually win 100% of your wager when you only should win @80% in the long run. That means that at some point, you will have to give that 20% back. Bad beats are the way of balancing this out in the long run, and are to be expected....frequently. Just keep getting your money in when you have the best of it, and make sure you can afford the long run...which can eventually be much longer than you think is possbile.